11 | hugs and kisses

That night, Chat Noir landed on Marinette's balcony—a smaller one than what he'd been used to, considering her apartment wasn't as spacious as her old bedroom. But what felt so ironic to him was that the balcony was connected to her new bedroom now... and did he think that to be just a coincidence? No, no he didn't.

The curtains were wide open when he landed, giving him a perfect view inside of Marinette's bedroom. It was late, well past midnight, but Marinette seemed to be wide awake, leaned back against the headboard of her bed as she clicked through the channels on her television. Adrien let out a heavy sigh. So it seemed he wasn't the only one struggling to sleep.

He forced himself to tap on the window before he could chicken out.

He watched as Marinette instantly froze. She slowly turned her head towards him, her eyes instantly widening when she realized it was him. In response he offered her a small, sheepish smile and a shy wave, his other hand clasped around the back of his neck as he rubbed the skin there nervously. He watched as she threw the covers off of her legs and practically rushed to the glass door, sliding it open and granting him access once again to her bedroom. He wasn't given the chance to even say anything before Marinette quickly threw her arms around his neck and pulled him into a tight hug. Chat Noir instantly melted in her hold, his arms slowly coming around her waist to pull her even closer into him.

He'd missed this. He'd missed her.

Marinette quickly pulled back to get a better look at him, her hand slowly lifting to place delicately to his cheek. Chat Noir instantly leaned into her touch, the familiar gesture sending his heart spiraling into the pit of his stomach like a sawrm of butterflies, filling his insides with both warmth and anxiousness. This was the intimacy he'd longed to have once again... and not just with anyone. No one could ever replace Marinette.

"You haven't changed a bit." Marinette chuckled sadly, her half-smile already falling as she searched his eyes carefully. What she was looking for, he wasn't sure. All he knew was that he was elated to be in her arms once again.

He cracked a small grin. "I'm a bit taller."

That earned him the corner of her lips turning slightly upward. "Yes you are."

He loved her smile too much to see it vanish so soon. "And a bit more handsome, too." Chat winked, and somehow found enough confidence in himself to actually flirt with her again, back when they were still teenagers themselves just learning how to love each other. He offered her one of those smirks she used to say were his 'signature look'... and he really hoped that his innocent advances to keep her smiling weren't too much.

He was relieved when Marinette actually chuckled. "Don't get ahead of yourself."

The tension in his shoulders quickly vanished, allowing him to actually relax. In truth, he was honestly surprised that Marinette was actually relaxed herself—for the most part, that is. Adrien could tell she was still unsure of what to do... or better yet, what to say. He, himself, didn't even know what he was supposed to say.

He found himself slowly frowning as his mind began to cloud. There were so many thing he wanted to talk to her about. He wanted to apologize. He wanted to make things right between them. He wanted to ask about his daughter. He wanted to meet his daughter. He wanted to ask why she'd never told him about their daughter. He wanted to ask her if she would ever consider taking him back... if they could be a family. The thought of even wanting to marry her constantly invaded his mind.

His arms fell from her sides as these thoughts slowly consumed him, and he couldn't even feel disappointed when she let them fall too. "I'm so sorry, Marinette."