16 | distractions

"Chat Noir, watch out!"

Her partner scrambled out of the way with a yelp just as Foudre slammed his mighty fist down, smashing the pavement of Paris's beloved streets below. Now on the ground, Ladybug thought they would have the advantage over this giant, but now, she was quickly realizing that even with having this giant's weakness in her hand, there was still no good way to enact it if Chat Noir and her were so out of sync.

Before, it used to be them against the word. Chat Noir once recited that mantra to her whenever she was in doubt, and she believed it. Back then, it was as if they could read each other's minds. They knew what the other was going to do. They could practically finish each other's sentences.

But now... she had no idea what his next move was going to be.

Chat Noir skidded across the pavement on his heels before he was launching himself up at the giant again. Ladybug watched and winced when Foudre swatted him with a backhanded slap as if her partner was a mere worthless fly.

But it didn't matter how many times Foudre pounded him backward. Chat Noir always somehow got back on his feet and launched himself back into the quarrel. Ladybug was unsure of what to make of his sudden, rash and reckless decisions, but she did know that if she intended to defeat this villain, she needed Chat Noir to work with her, not against her.

For the tenth time that night, Chat Noir fell face first into the pavement. But before he could resume his reckless encounters with the giant, Ladybug placed a hand on his shoulder, forcing him to a sudden halt.

"This clearly isn't working." She said with a tentative squeeze. Even under the dimly lit sky, she could make out all the scrapes that littered his face. Even blood was oozing out from his bottom lip. "We need a plan."

With a sniff, he shrugged off her touch. "When you have one, let me know."

She didn't let him get away that easily. Ladybug grabbed a hold of his wrist, forcing Chat Noir to stay put. He threw his head back, letting out a loud, impatient huff, before he turned to face her.

He looked agitated, but so was she.

"What's with you?" She frowned at him, searching his eyes for the answer. His usual emerald irises were dull. "We're supposed to be working together, not recklessly throwing ourselves into the fight."

His lips were pulled into a frown and his eyes were narrowed, dangerously so. The look didn't faze her in the slightest, though.

"I just want to get this over and done with." He said.

"So do I, but we need a plan. At least try and work with me here."

Foudre came at them again with a bellowed shout followed by his mighty fist. Both heroes did a backflip to quickly avoid the blow.

"I am trying," Chat Noir gritted out as they both took multiple backward. "But I haven't done this in a long time. I'm out of practice."

The akumatized giant wasn't exactly thrilled to have missed again. He let out an ear-piercing bellow as he stepped forward, his footstep alone shaking the earth down to its core. Ladybug and Chat Noir stumbled under the tremble and even reached out to hold onto each other for support. The presumed earthquake cracked open the pavement along Paris's narrow streets farther than even her eyes could see.

In the distance, Ladybug could make out the shouts of citizens struggling to escape. There were cars being sucked underneath the streets and people struggling to avoid fall in themselves. She was rather immune to the damage, because she had confidence she could fix it, but Chat Noir's expression spoke volumes. He was terrified.