Why Can't This Be Love

Leah sat in her room crying. She was never scared of anything. But one thing always got to her... love. The idea of commitment and a relationship seemed out of reach to her. She kinda liked knowing that Duff loved her. She felt comfortable laying with him. He felt good. It was her that couldn't commit. She wasn't even sure if she liked him. Only time would tell she said to herself. There was a soft knock on the door.

  "Leah? Are you ok? It's Duff... if you don't want to talk that's ok too..." She felt embarrassed.

  "Just go back to your place, ok? I don't want to talk right now." She said, then burying her face in her pillow.

  "Ok, I'll go back. See you tonight?"

  "Don't hold your breath." She said in response as the footsteps slowly faded out of existence. She really felt bad. It wasn't his fault, she just hated the idea of a boyfriend. Boyfriend. Boyfriend. She said it in her head a few more times. I will never have a boyfriend.

  "He's gone, if you want to come out and talk... you don't have too though..."

  "Ok, I'll come." She gave in. She felt the note in her pocket and pulled it out as she walked to the door of her room. I'll have to keep that for later. She said to herself.

  "Want breakfast? Duff already took a piece of bacon before he left."

  "Ok, I guess" she said, grabbing a piece.

  "He wasn't trying to hurt you." Annora said with a sympathetic smile.

  "I know, it just... scared me." She mumbled meekly. "He's a good guy, but I really just want to be friends." Leah stated.

  "Don't worry about it. I'm sure things will be fine." Annora reassured her.

  Leah hated this feeling. She felt vulnerable. Man up! She said to herself. This isn't like you. Go call him and apologize.

  "Hey, Annie, I'll be right back." She said as she walked to her room. She dialed in the number and Izzy picked up.

  "Hey," she said softly.

  "Umm... hi. Who is this?" Izzy questioned.

  "Leah."

  "Oh, ok. What's up?" He asked.

  "Can I talk to Duff?"

  "Yea, sure. But real quick... where the fuck was he last night? At your house?"

  "Umm... yea," she heard a suggestive tone in his voice. "IZZY! Nothing happened! I don't even like him!"

  "Okaayyy" he responded slyly.

  She heard some banging around and some yelling in the background. Suddenly she heard his voice. The one she had woken up to this morning.

  She started to blush. "Hey... I just wanted to say sorry for the way I reacted this morning... thank you for taking care of me. I really appreciate it. I was just scared. I had never been in that kind of situation before." She said, trying not to talk to much.

  "Hey, don't sweat it. And, all the guys say hi." She could almost hear his grin over the phone. "Steven wants to say hi."

  She heard him lift up the phone. "Hi Leah!! How are you?" He said excitedly.

  "Hahaha hi Steve. I'm doing good. What about you?" She said in response.

  "I'm great! But I would be even better if you could come over! And I think Axl would agree too..." he said in a mumble. I rolled my eyes.

  "Ok, I'll come over and visit. What's the address?"

———

  She pulled on her ripped black jeans and her patches up leather jacket. She wrote the address down on a piece of paper. She has bought a brand new Hartley-Davidson with the money she got from selling her old one. She got on and adjusted her helmet. Here we go she thought to herself. She noticed herself whistling the intro to 'Patience' as she pulled up. It was a beautiful song that she just adored. She didn't like love, but some songs about it where catchy nonetheless. She laughed to herself. She walked up and knocked on the door.

  "She's here! Everyone get ready!!" She heard Steven yell from the other side of the door.
  "Shut up or I'll punch you into next week!"
  "God, who stole my jacket?"
  "Hey Popcorn, think fast!" She heard a projectile of some sort hit the wall.
  "Everyone relax, she's just a normal person."
  "A very beautiful one..."
  "Chill, man."
  "Hey, she's gonna love it!!"
  "Axl! Put a shirt on you little fuck!"
  "Shut up, Slash!"
She heard another thud against the wall, and then the sound of glass breaking. She knocked again, a little harder this time.

  "Steven what happened?" Looks around to see a broken bottle, a shoe, and a guilty faced Slash, who was missing a shoe. She broke out in laughter. She looked up only to see that the guys had gotten her a leather jacket with their logo patched onto it. The back was signed by all of them.

  "Oh my gosh, thank you guys sooo much!" She said, trying to contain her excitement.

  "Duff told us what happened this morning, so we figured we would make it better." Izzy stepped forward.

  "You little shit" Duff mumbled to Izzy as if she couldn't hear him.

  "I love it!" She giggled and put the jacket on after taking off her other one. This one was baggy and slightly oversized. She had never sounded so girly in her life. She walked in the small home and looked around. "Nice place!" She said optimistically.

  "Thanks!" They pretty much all said in unison. Once everyone had calmed down, they all went over to sit on the couches. As they walked Axl put his arm around her waist and mumbled in her ear. She made a facial expression that said it all. She tried to get him off but he wouldn't budge. "What's wrong, sweetheart?" He said, with a sketchy grin on his face. Duff noticed and pushed him off of the poor girl. "Next time stand up for yourself." He said giving her a smile. "Thanks." She said, her face lighting up.