Twenty : Sun In Gray

CONTENT WARNING : ANGST

————————TIME ~ SKIP————————

The weekend sun beams through the smudged glass  of my mom's car. The heat radiates through the glass and beats through my black sweater. Heat and pulsating motions start to form underneath my clothing.

Miyagi had the heat for the summer, and the brightest atmosphere within the trees and multiple flowers alongside.

We had arrived late last night, signing in to our hotel. Mom had some business encounters alongside my plans, so the endeavour to Sendai worked well for the both of us.

Right after camp, Y/n had flown out to Sendai, ultimately staying with her cousin for the week before today.

He was thrilled she was coming.

He must've not known why though.

"You feeling nervous?" Mom asks, focusing mainly on the road and looking intently at the merge sign 250 metres ahead.

"About what?" I ask back, trying not to insinuate that I know.

I know what she meant, anyone could've guessed.

"About taking her to see her mother. I couldn't imagine being able to do it, let alone be the one to have to live with it. She must have something special for her birthday..." mom darts off, looking to the road as the words fall from her mouth.

She did that lots when she couldn't think of anything to add to her thoughts. It happened often on subjects she knew little about.

The little being my knowledge shared among us.

"No...I know it'll be tough. But I'm not nervous. I can't be." I add the last part as I look out the passenger window. I give a quick eye to the ankle bracelet she gave me.

Forever and Always shines within the engraved letters and metal.

Those words meant something I still needed to understand.

Mom steps on the gas, speeding along the merge and sliding into the side lane on the main road.

Cars pass by in a flash, the speed increasing as the distance between any car becomes progressively farther.

"You seem nervous, judging by the amount of kilos you're going over the limit." I comment, checking her speedometer.

"Shit..." she pulls back on the gas, the dial slowly lowering.

"What's on your mind?" I look to her, studying her eyes.

"I just....want to make sure this isn't too much for you. You're very close to her, and have done so much together. I just don't want this to...change that."

My mothers face changes from calm and focused to dialled and restless. Her hands stick to the wheel tight and her body hunched and locked.

I rest my hand on hers.

"I'll be fine. That's what it means to be there for someone." I don't say anything else. I let the words soak in.