Chapter Ten

Song for this chapter - It's Ok If You Forget Me by Astrid S

I wish I could say that school hadn't been as bad as I thought it would be. That from the second I walked in I was made to feel welcome, as if I'd never even left. I wish I could say that, but I can't.

In fact, what actually happened had probably been the opposite of the reaction that I'd hoped for. You see, when I'd left the hospital the first time, everyone was happy to see me go. Whether that was because they wanted to see me fully recover or they were just glad to be rid of me remains to be seen, but I can tell you they definitely weren't glad to see me back. From the minute I stepped foot inside the rec room I was met with whispers and glares from every direction, well, from the kids who remembered me. I think they thought that I must be so remarkably stupid to throw away my chance at freedom; I think they judged me for still being sick, after all this time. They resented the fact that they were still stuck here for something they couldn't help, and here I was, back again for something my own brain was responsible for. They probably hate me.

I mean, I suppose I can't blame them. I would hate me, too.

Lily had held my hand and dragged me over to a small table in the back, where I thought I was safe. Until Henry Clark walked in. He was with Vy, Ollie and a curiously short boy who was introduced to me as Dan Rodriquez, (Dan being short for Daniel). He was a bit more quiet than his friends; I could tell we would get along.

Of course, they had sat at our table, and annoyingly, Henry had for some reason chosen to sit next to me. It had only taken about five minutes for him to start with the incessant name-calling, contradicting and just downright rudeness he usually greeted me with. What annoyed me so much about it was that he performed it all with a cocky smile and a laugh, as if pestering me was his number one source of entertainment. He was scolded by Miss Jackson several times for disrupting the lessons and even his friends had grown a little tired of it by the end. I think I lost count after the 20th time he called me 'Skelly', a nickname he so lovingly assigned to me, presumably after my visible bones.

I tried to ignore him at first, mainly by pretending I couldn't hear him whenever he opened his mouth, but he only grew more impatient throughout the day and eventually I gave in and argued back. I've never talked so much in my life; I think my voice has actually been left a little raspy from our interactions. I'm actually quite proud of myself, I came up with some witty remarks here and there, which I hope covered up how angry I was. Still, I wasn't as bad as he was; I didn't get told off by Miss Jackson at least.

Even when I was writing an essay on 'the significance of Mr. Hyde,' he insisted on constantly reaching over and scribbling on my paper. At one point we had a little unspoken battle of who could scribble on the other's essay the most. He won. It got to the point where I had to pick up all my books and go and sit next to Dan on the other side of the table, which didn't even help too much as I was then under the threat of his constant stares and stupid smirks.

He didn't take a break from his idiotic behaviour until we were finally all dismissed after an excruciating four hours, and needless to say I was exhausted. I usually don't fight anyone but for some reason he got under my skin so much, I couldn't help but argue with him.

Luckily, it was a Friday today and so I wouldn't have to worry about school for another day or two.

Thank fuck for that.

I was now sat on one of the small, sad-looking plastic chairs outside of Dr. Collins' office, waiting for my first therapy session to begin. From what I remember, Dr. Collins was nice enough, only a little boring to talk to. Which is kind of ironic considering his entire job is talking to people. He always reeks of a bad cologne he buys from the hospital bookshop and he looks like he's never combed his hair a day in his life. It's hard to describe him in all honesty because he doesn't really have anything unique about him, just an insanely average type of guy. He looked exactly how I'd imagine a therapist to look like.