Chapter 2- Haunted High

We headed below deck, where we fixed our outfits. I untangled the chains around my belt and fixed my choker. I looked at the paint splatters on my dress. They looked intentional, but they were from me, and they really weren't.

Our Monster High friends on the boat wasn't intentional either.

"Woah! You ghouls are not supposed to be here!" Spectra said to the girls.

Twyla smiled at me. "Yeah. The dancing reaper made that quite clear."

"Did somebody say confetti cannons?" River said excitedly.

She tapped the stick against the boat and confetti cannons shot into the river. Sirena danced in them as I smiled at my friend. She was always so positive, never sad or hurt. She was an airhead, people said. I thought she was just optimistic.

"Nice to see you too, River," I teased.

"Spectra, what is going on? Why is (Y/n) a ghost?" Clawdeen questioned.

"I've always been one. I asked Twyla to turn me into a vampire with her sand because of some teasing I got, and Twyla wanted me to change back. Spectra wanted me to come, so I came," I admitted.

"You have to promise not to tell anyone," Spectra started. "There's another world, a Ghost World, where all the different types of ghosts come from. There are phantoms, like Operetta, banshees like Scarah, and even faceless ghosts like my old friend Kiyomi."

"And don't forget us reapers," River added.

"Then how come we've never heard about this Ghost World?" Draculaura asked.

"It's a secret because most ghosts are pretty nervous about outsiders. You're what we ghosts refer to as solids," River explained.

"Solids? Her story checks out," Twyla joked about Rochelle.

Rochelle rolled her eyes, but still smiled. She appreciated Twyla's joking nature. Everyone knew that Twyla never meant to hurt any monster intentionally. And if she did, it was only when drastic measures needed to be taken.

"Most ghosts have never even seen outsiders from the Monster World. They'd probably be pretty scared if they saw you," I continued.

"My family left Ghost World a long time ago. They thought Monster High would be a good place for me. This boat will take us back to our old school, Haunted High," Spectra concluded.

"Unbelievable! A whole other school sitting right next to Monster High!" Clawdeen gushed.

River turned to us. "So. What brings you back to the Ghost World, you two?"

"Draculaura's being haunted," Spectra explained.

My eyes widened. "That's what we're here for?"

"That's impossible. Ghosts don't haunt the Monster World. There hasn't been a haunting since," River gasped, "the Red Lady."

I rolled my eyes. "C'mon, River, The Red Lady is just a myth."

"What is The Red Lady?" Rochelle asked, making me groan.

"The legend of The Red Lady is a story that every ghost learns when they're very young. Hundreds of years ago, The Red Lady was the scariest, most notorious ghost in the Monster World. No one was safe from her hauntings. They say The Red Lady figured out a way to quickly travel between the Ghost World and the Monster World. The Red Lady became more infamous with every ghostly crime. Nothing delighted her more than hiding in the shadows, waiting for just the right moment to jump out! And scare unsuspecting outsiders. But one day, her scaring spree finally came to an end when The Red Lady was captured and locked away. They say the weight of her crimes were so heavy, that it will take her centuries to pay her debt to society," River told the tale. "Sorry, I just love a good ghost story."