Chapter 2

"So when I said no killing--" I jammed my knee into a guy's solar plexus. "--did you take that to mean, end peoples' lives?" My elbow crashed onto the back of his neck. I let his body collapse to the floor like a bag of wet cement. 

"There's only one dead body!"

"Yeah, one too many," I said. Dad flipped his switchblade shut. He tucked it back into a pocket, and I leapt away from a thrown punch. Spheres fell into place between my fingers, before flying out and erupting into smoke. 

Something dark whizzed past my head, accompanied by an echoing cackle. My eyes lit, and I looked up at the piled crates. I took a running jump, and with a bang and rattle I landed on one. Higher and higher, I climbed. Robin crouched at the edge of the topmost crate. His hand rested on his belt, lenses of his mask narrowed as he stared at the scene below. 

"So," I said, plopping my hands on his shoulders and leaning over, "how've you been, birdie?"

"Whelmed."

"You don't sound that way."

"I'm not allowed to drink coffee." Rob let his weight rest against my legs. The whites of his mask disappeared when he closed his eyes. "It's been a while."

"I wasn't exactly planning on vanishing."

"Isn't that your whole gimmick?"

"Only when I want it to be." I sighed and carded a gloved hand through his hair. "What did I miss?" Things moved fast in Gotham. So many things could've changed: new gangs, new villains, escapes, captures. Robin might've been a bird, but he was my fly on the wall. At least, when I couldn't gather my own information. Sometimes being a hero got in the way more than I'd like. But what was I supposed to do? Let the world get destroyed?

"Not much. Pretty much everyone that got ousted took back their territory, all the villains we caught broke out, the usual." Robin pressed his head against my hand. "We're back on patrol route six now, so you might want to avoid that."

"He's too young for you!" yelled Dad. I rolled my eyes and ignored him. With a flick a smoke bomb landed between him and Batman. My hands slipped under Rob's armpits, and I hauled him up.

"I'm going to go feed the child. Possibly to a dog."  Rob struggled against me, at least until I tossed him in the air and caught him by the ankles. I tsked. "Now, you can either play nice or I can throw you out the window."

"Throw me out the window and end my suffering."

"Dramatic much?"

"Oh, like you're one to talk."

I threw him out the open window. I jumped through after him, easily clearing the small gap between buildings. How Gotham hadn't burned in a night, it was beyond me. He grumbled and dusted off his uniform. Laughter peeled from me. It wasn't the worst I'd done to him. Far better than the time I threw him in a tank filled with octopi. 

"You know, I'm pretty sure you're the reason I'm never whelmed," he said. "Where are we going?" I eyed the grappling gun on his belt. "What?"

"Is that cable going to be strong enough?"

"It's strong enough for me and KF, should be more than strong enough to hold you. Bats doesn't make tech halfway. I'd be more worried about me dropping you. And that's not all that big of a thing. I'm strong, and it's not like I grew up doing anything else."

He was smiling, a wide grin on his face. I exhaled. A step closer, and I wrapped him in my arms and pulled him close. He's so small. The observation echoed in my brain. He melted against me, and I nestled my head atop the combed black hair. "I missed you," I whispered.