Chapter 1: A Little Adventure

"Stupid mud," Nyssa mutters to herself as she pounds her boot against a nearby rock, watching flakes of mud fall off. Hopping on one foot, she stumbles over to sit down and catch her breath. She's been hiking for several days now and hasn't seen any signs of civilization except for a few random villagers attempting to sell their goods to desperate travelers. Nyssa shades her eyes from the sinking sun to check her compass. She ponders for a second, wondering if the stories she'd heard about lands with castles, prisons, and mansions had been true. It sure seemed like a fairytale when she'd overheard the islanders talking about people who wore enchanted armor and wielded the strongest blades, but somehow she knew that it was real and she yearned to go. If anyone possessed the knowledge as to who and where her parents were, it would be them. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to go on a little adventure, right?

With renewed determination, Nyssa slides her boot back on and tucks her brass compass into one of the pockets in her cargo pants. She flicks her long braid over her shoulder and sets off to find the mystical dream land.

After about an hour of stomping through a dark oak forest, Nyssa tilts her head to hear soft music dancing through the trees. She walks in the direction of the song, and notices how the trees get farther apart with each step. At the crescendo, she steps out into a flowery glade on the riverbank. Across the water is an enormous black building floating on the bay. It's massive frame mocks the surrounding green hills. Glowstone lines the peaks of the building, adding to it's ominous presence in an otherwise pleasant landscape. A blonde head peaks out from on top of the hill and, recognizing that it's been caught, flicks away. The music dies. Nyssa suddenly feels very alone, or rather, as alone as one can be when one has been alone their whole life. A strange feeling, but one that has her hurriedly seeking a safer spot. She comes across a wooden path and follows it up the hillside.

From the hilltop she can see the bright colorful lights of the city before her. She spots rainbow beacons that no doubt can be seen from miles away on the darkest nights. Several buildings line the golden path, each one a unique reflection of their builder. To her right is a vibrant high-rise hotel, the perfect spot to spend her first night in the land of dreams. Nyssa rents a room and goes to sleep knowing she's finally found her place.