Chapter 6: Get in Loser, We're Going Shopping

The next morning, Niki and Nyssa arrive at Kinoko Kingdom, ready to shop. Nyssa's second coffee is just kicking in and she practically bounces with excitement.

The city is bustling with activity, people scurrying through the cobblestone streets and mushroom gardens, eager to start their day. A mix of accents fill Nyssa's ears. She marvels at the distinctive architecture, never before seeing anything quite like it. All of the buildings are decorated in a similar fashion with red and white mushrooms and dark oak. The bright green grass is trimmed to perfection and lanterns are hidden in the alcoves. Nyssa wishes she could witness the city's beauty at night, but unfortunately this is just a day trip.

They start off at a boutique on the main strip. Hundreds of roses are placed around the store, and rose vines climb the walls. The whole place is bathed in a sweet perfume. The girls try on a number of outfits, testing for looks and for practicality. They cash out and the brown haired lady at the register thanks them for stopping by.

Happily swinging their bags, they strut down the street, stopping by store after store. In most stores, it went the same. Nyssa would eye something dark and loose, and Niki would tell her she should try something new. So, Nyssa bought something dark and tight. Niki rolled her eyes at each plain color and attempted to sneak some variety into her bag, but Nyssa caught most of the baker's attempts.

After about two hours, they stop at a cafe for lunch. As they walk up, they overhear a conversation between two men.

"Fifty diamond blocks is insane! I'm not paying that much!" A round man shakes his hands in frustration.

"It's quite reasonable for the job you're asking for," a dark haired man responds.

"Are you out of your mind? There's no way you're that good of a builder."

Nyssa gets closer and she can make out more of the dark haired man's features. He has thick eyebrows and a chiseled jawline. The man waves a hand, his gold cuffs catching the sunlight, as he gestures at the cafe around him. "I built this."

The round man huffs, "You mean you built a tiny cafe. Congratulations, my eleven year old son can do that, too."

The dark haired man lights up, a wide grin breaking through his features and he leans back in his chair. "Oh no, I wasn't talking about the cafe." He joins in on the other man's laughter and props his hands behind his head. "I was talking about the city."

The man stops laughing. "Sorry?"

"That's right. I built this city." He lets out a squeaky laugh at the man's slack jawed look.

"Uh- I apologize, sir. I did not mean to insult your brilliance, sir." The round man excused himself from their table and tips his hat. "I'll go find another builder, I'm sure there's someone within my price range. Good day."

"Foolish! Is that you?" Niki lets out a cry.

"Niki? My friend, it's been so long! How are you?" The man named Foolish springs from his seat and rushes to hug Nyssa's friend, his tall body wrapping around her completely.

Nyssa is taken aback by his colossal height, he had to be the tallest man she's ever seen.

"I'm doing great! This is my new friend, Nyssa. We're here shopping," Niki explains.

Nyssa nods and gives the man a wave. "Is it true you built this entire city?"

Foolish starts to nod, before catching himself and furrowing his eyebrows. "Well, just about 90% of it."

"Wow."

Niki laughs, "Nyssa, Foolish is very knowledgeable about Kinoko Kingdom, he probably knows people here." Niki meets her eyes, trying to communicate something.