[36]

Luke's P.O.V.

"Dear Luke,

I'm 16 now. My birthday was yesterday. Dad bought Julie and I matching Dahlia bracelets. Mine was confiscated even though they told me I could keep it during the day as long as it stayed in my room and nobody else touched it, but it was nice while I got to wear it. I wish you could've been there. Even though, I could've sworn I heard you last night. I was hooked up to my sedative so I couldn't wake up even if I wanted to. But I could've sworn you were there talking to me.

When I did finally wake up this morning, I couldn't stop crying. Nina asked me what was wrong, but I couldn't tell her. She's a mandatory reporter after all. If I show any symptoms, they'll have every right to keep me here even longer. So I just cried and she let me. Then when I finally calmed down I just told her I missed my friends and family and that seeing all of them yesterday was nice but it just made me realize how much I really miss them. How much I miss you.
I

know, there's a chance you'll never read this letter, but I'm not giving up on you. We'll get you out of Caleb's club. I promise. And as soon as I'm out of this God forsaken place then we can both just have freedom and just be us. We never got a real chance to be us before this crazy mess happened. We had that stupid little friends to lovers trope started but we never actually successfully made it a thing.
And now I've written too much and I probably just sound stupid, especially since this is written in a bright red crayon, which is the most embarrassing thing ever. And on top of it being crayon and being bright red, it's not erasable.
But I'm giving this to Julie to hold on to until I get out or until we get you out. And I am praying that she won't read it. So Julie, if you're reading this right now, I'm going to kill you when I come home. And Luke, if you're reading this right now, I love you and I promise that we'll find each other again.
Love,
Dahl S.M.♡"

"Zeez truly appened to er?" Aura asks, staring down at the letter. "She was really put into ze psychological ospital?"

"I wasn't lying when I told you she was in the ward," I nod, swinging my legs as the dangle off the stage.

"I'm so sorray," she apologizes again. She carefully folds the letter back up before handing it to me. "She has more of these letters?"

"She's got a shoebox full," I say, slipping the letter into my guitar case before closing it. "I hope you don't mind that I'm sharing these with you in full confidence. You better not tell Dahlia you've read them or she might- Aura!"

Aura tips backwards, laying on the stage. She clutches her chest and rolls over. "What ze hell?"

"Aura, what's going on? Are you okay? What happened?" I ask, crawling over to her.

She puts a hand up to me, ushering me away. I can hear sobs coming from her. They get louder as she tries to talk to me. "I can feel it."

"What's happening?" I ask again. Aura holds her chest again right over her heart and let's out a pained scream.

"No, no," she whimpers. "Make it stop."