[40]

Dahlia's P.O.V.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I slowly cross my arms and look out the car window.

"I was planning to Mija," Dad says, continuing to drive as the light turns green.

"Before or after I made a fool of myself in front of the entire hospital staff?" I ask.

"How was I supposed to know that you would leave the house?" Dad says, obviously frustrated with me. "You have no right to be upset with me right now, Dahlia."

"You're right," I mumble. "I'm sorry."

"You can't just leave," he says. "You scared me and your sister to death. The last time you just left you were gone for hours. And when you finally came back they put you-"

"I'm sorry," I repeat, patting his hand.

He looks at me, his eyes glassy. "Jake is going back to the ward."

"What?!"

*****
Luke's P.O.V.

Under other circumstances, I would be thrilled to be going to the beach. Tonight, I would rather be anywhere else. Aura limps next to me, her face growing translucent, her legs already disappearing.

"Just hang on," I say, grabbing her hands and holding her arms over my shoulders. I lift her up onto my back and hold on to her. "Just a little longer."

"Luke," she says quietly as I walk faster toward the beach. "Can I tell you something?"

"We're almost there," I say, ignoring her question. I quickly get onto the sand and lower her to the ground. She quickly sits down and breathes heavily.

"Sit," she smiles, patting the sand next to her. I comply and sit next to her. "Now, can I tell you vat I wanted to say? Before I go?"

"Don't say that," I shake my head, tearing welling up in my eyes.

"Luke, I have to go," Aura nods. "You know zis."

I nod and wipe a tear from my cheek.

"You have been a veray good friend to me," she says quietly. "And I ave heard so many great things about Cali and the after life from you. I want to zank you for zees things."

"I didn't have to say anything," I sniff. "California tells it all by itself."

"Luke," Aura laughs lightly. "I'm not done. You arr a lot strongar zan you think you ar. You have fought with Caleb for long enough. It is time for you to do what is right."

"What do you mean?" I ask, watching the sunset give her face an orange-y glow.

"You must free yourself," she says. "You have to break free."

"How? I can't kill him, he's a ghost. And I can't run away, he'll catch me," I shake my head.

"I don't mean zat," she smiles. "Caleb is crossing over. You need to talk to him. And not in zee rude ways you usually do. You need to show him why you must be free."

"Dahlia," I whisper.

"I know you'll do the right thing," Aura smiles, touching my face. The sky gets darker and darker until eventually there is only a slight glow over the water. "I'll see you on the other side one day."

"I'll see you later," I say, holding her hand against my face. She blinks one last tear before her body fades away into the light and she is gone. I feel my body shake and I break down into tears right on the sand.

A.N.

Hi (:

I'm so sorry that updates on this story are so slow. And I'm sorry it's been so long.

I can't believe I started this story last year🥲 I also can't believe I'm halfway through my senior year.

I hope everyone is doing good and I hope no one is upset I'm not updating as much.

Thank you all for sticking around and giving this story so much love and just supporting me through this journey!

Please check out some of my other stories too, I actually have been updating those and being productive!

-Redd

💫🦋🧔🏼👁👄👁🤠💕☠🌟👹🌲😤🤷‍♀️🐰🌵