Chapter Five - A New Friend

It was time to go exploring!

What better way to get to know Alola than to explore it? At least, that's what you told yourself. You concluded a hiking trail would be the best. While it wasn't exploring exploring, it was something!

You jogged along the path with your Pokemon behind you. The path was fairly straight and went through a safe forest.There were only a few people, which made it serene.

"How do you like the path?" You asked, savoring the shade of the trees.

"Minccino, minicinno!"

"Grow, growlithe!"

"Dwebble!"

"Manectric...!"

You grinned at them sweetly before admiring the nature again. There were tons of trees on all sides, as far as you could see. It was truly breathtaking. You walked thoughtlessly along the path for about an hour, and even saw some Pokemon residing in the trees.

Since your Pokemon were a little tired of walking, you put them back in their Pokeballs. Minccino, however, being eager to see everything, did not.

"Ah, Minccino..." You muttered.

A rustle in the bushes was enough to catch your attention. You froze and studied it. Could it be...?

A wild Pokemon jumped out. You and Mincinno exchanged glances.

"Minccino, you're up!" You called; Minccino posing in front of you. The Pokemon took a minute to study you. While it did this, you grabbed your Pokedex.

"Rufflet; a Normal & Flying-Type Pokemon. If it spies a strong Pokemon, Rufflet can't resist challenging it to a battle. But if Rufflet loses, it starts bawling."

"Alright. Minccino, use Pound!"

Minccino ran up to Rufflet and hollered, but Rufflet dodged it. While Minccino recovered, it used Peck, making your Pokemon stumble back.

"You can do this!" You encouraged. "Now, use Pound!"

Minccino was quick to hit Rufflet with its tail, and it stumbled back a few feet. You could tell it was about to use another move.

"Be prepared to dodge!" You instructed, and Minccino gave a small nodd.

Rufflet used Air Slash, which your Pokemon dodged. What you didn't realize was Rufflet could do it repeatedly.

"Minccino, get out of there!" You urged, watching your Pokemon run. Unfortunately, one hit Minccino right on the back.

You checked on your Pokemon; Minccino got right back up.

"Minccino!" It said, determined.

"Okay, use--"

The Rufflet, despite what the Pokedex entry said, began to fly away. It only took you a moment to run after it; Minccino followed close behind. You pushed past countless branches and bushes until you reached a clearer area.

"Now's our chance! Use Sing!"

Minccino began to sing, but the Rufflet was not close enough to be affected.

"Use Sing again!" You commanded.

This time, Minccino was successful. As it sang, Rufflet's eyes became droopy, and it glided towards the ground. Before long, it was peacefully atop the ground asleep.

"Tail Slap!" You urged. Minccino did as instructed, ending the battle with a final blow.

This certainly woke Rufflet up, but not enough for it to react. You grabbed a Pokeball from your bag before throwing it.

"Pokeball, go!"

The Pokeball shook for a few seconds, spinning slightly. Finally, a small noise cued you'd caught a Rufflet. You let out the breath you didn't realize you were holding.