Chapter Six

Murphy's Law

Exactly three months after being fired, life took me to Europe, and all the pain and hurt were a thing of the past.

Literally, I couldn't imagine I was the little and fragile lass crying her eyes out not so long ago. It turns out, my "Romeo" from the hole I worked in, liked me so much, enough to trouble Josie with my address. I wish that was all, but he was romantic enough and acted like the gentleman he was. I mean, I have never seen such sincerity, humility, and concern from a person of his caliber.

He went to old school and sent me a letter. I mean who does this anymore? Letters? We all know letters are bills and eviction notices, and these have started sending coming in the form of electronic mails nowadays.

"From your secret admirer,

It's with great empathy and affection that I decided to write this to you, I "enjoyed my meal" and I've come back for more. I'm sorry that things didn't go well for you when I last saw you and be pleased to know that I share your misfortune.

But that is not all, I also noticed a change in me when we stopped and stared into each other. Indeed, I feel like we should know each other more, and again, apologies for putting your friend on the line. I needed to write to you and hopefully, see you again. This time, we shall have a lengthy conversation about how electrifying you make my body feel upon the sight of your chocolate skin and dazzling smile.

Ryan."

The three people on my door were my two friends Treasure and Riley, who had been sent by Josie to come to check up on me. The third person was a mailman who came to accomplish his mission for the day; deliver. I was shocked when I saw the name of the sender because I knew no Ryan and the packaging was just different.

The paper had gold embroidery at the edges with special calligraphy used to write the sender's name. It was fancy and satisfying, and when I wanted to ask whom, it was from, the mailman was already gone. My two friends were left wondering who the secret admirer was.

Between now and then, I realize that my moods changed after reading his letter. Treasure and Riley's visit was all for nothing. For once, I had found kindness at the hands of a stranger, and it wasn't that bad. Despite my emotional state, I managed to draw a smile that paved way for heavenly delight that lasts to this day.

It was that moment when you just feel the world not being a strange place anymore. That moment where is started to believe in kindness and humanity despite Mr. Santos' dubious behavior. My mother was right, I was right. What Mr. Santos had done was completely out of his jurisdiction. He could be jailed for that!

My ever-worried mother called my sister when I hang up who immediately called me when she got time. I could sense the worry in her voice and that night, she came rushing to my place to check up on me.

To her surprise, I wasn't as hurt or sorrowful. Of course, I still had the trauma from the recent events which were still vivid, but I was bubbly following the letter I had received. I showed it to her, and the first word that came out of her mouth was, "How well do you know him?" My sister is always paranoid when it comes to men and sometimes, I think it's because she hasn't had much luck with love.

At twenty-eight, she was back to the market after her fiancé bailed out on her. That's not the whole story though, this is the second time a guy has eloped without a trace or a word. I feel like it always weighs so much on her and the way things are going with her, I'm not sure if she would ever trust anyone again.

In my case though, Ryan was still a crush, and her worries were valid. There was a chance that the knight in shining armor could be a fraud. While in school, I used to hear rumors that people getting kidnapped by men who pose as lovers, and I wasn't sure if this was not among those cases.

Deep down, however, I was happy that he reached out. The previous day had been crazy and someone showing such kindness after the unforgettable staring contest.

"No. I just met him yesterday at the restaurant, before everything went up in flames."

"I'm not saying anything but be careful sis, I don't want you in another tragedy. But daamn!, give me the letter once more, I want to read it again" imparted my sister.

I passed the letter to her while I gave out a hearty glee. I stayed for months before being comfortable with Ryan and believing that he was honest and trustworthy. I still remember the day he asked me to come with him to London. We were talking, meeting up for dates on restaurants, and having those long walks across the city.

For me, it was romantic and a true depiction of taking things slow. Often than not, I tell myself that it was my waiting out that made him fall for me even harder. I'm still in denial myself, I have never stayed more than a month going out on dates with anyone without even attempting a kiss.

With Ryan, that is exactly what happened. We shared our first kiss in London during the royal ball. Another thing that happened for the first time when in London is Ryan telling me that he was a Prince, an actual prince of Queen Elizabeth's royal bloodline.

How many times does that happen? How many times do you see someone, anyone, humble and caring less about their status? Ryan was that type of guy who wanted everyone to see him for who he was and not his princely status.

Ryan wanted me to fall in love with his personality and later on, he confessed that it tickled a little bit when he saw me playing hard to get.

Not many people know this but believe me when I tell you there is beauty in playing hard to get. I mean, if someone wants you, they will move the earth just to see you beside them.

Ryan tried to win me in all the ways he thought possible. He even tried to use my sister into making me agree to his bidding. Ryan and my sister met one day when he had come to visit me at my place, and they immediately got fond of each other.

They had so much to talk about such that I felt like a third party, which I was, truly.

On the Royal Ball, Ryan had a hidden agenda. He planned to let me meet his parents. It wasn't Queen Elizabeth of course but a king and queen, I think. A prince is the son of a king and queen, right? That's basic but the point is, I wasn't prepared, and everything caught me by surprise. I hate surprises and this was quite sizeable.

First, I had to get dressed in this ridiculous green Givenchy dress with nude nail polish. Green of all colors, and as if that wasn't enough, there was a bucket of rules I had to adhere to while at the event.

It turns out, no one can wear anything too bright like the Queen. The Queen. I also had to wear tights. What year is it? 1920? But for love, you can do anything. Stripping naked can be a walk in the park, and for me, I tried making it look like so. I abode to all rules, regardless of their strictness and in the end, I got where I hoped I would be Ryan's little gem.

All this time, Ryan couldn't let me out of his sight, and I noticed how possessive he was with me, and I loved it. With my dark skin, I wished I could brush it off on everyone back home.

Sadly though, Ryan's parents weren't as thrilled. They did not share the same enthusiasm as their son in me being part of the big family. Before they pointed it out, I did feel out of place and when Ryan's parents brought it up, they confirmed my greatest fears.

Growing up, I knew there would come a time I would experience what others experience in the real world and when I was due, it crushed me like a slipper on a cockroach. I was black.

As much as Ryan praised my flawless and smooth skin, it wasn't enough to have "Royal Etiquette" as Ryan's parents put it. What is that anyway? Royal Etiquette. That is what his parents said about me, and the reason they were not pleased with Ryan's choice. It hurt me so much that I wished never to have met Ryan in my life.

I was finally happy and had started to forget all those who shattered my heart in my past life. I don't know about others, but I believe there is a connection which you find with someone, a connection that is so strong and worth dying for.

I felt that with Ryan and nothing else mattered but being with him. Not because he was a prince or anything, but because I knew for sure that he was who I was meant to wake up beside each morning for the rest of my existence. He was that part of me that was reunited with my body after an eternity of being separated.