16 The Past and the Present

*UNEDITED

As soon as Daniel ended another phone call, I picked up my cell phone and dialed Mr. Max’s number. He picked up on the first ring.

“Isla? Where are you?” was his first question. Even he knows I was gone.

“I just got back…Nadav, he’s…”

“I know, I know.” He sounded too relaxed for someone whose son is missing. “I just got off the phone with Adelaide. Nadav is at his mother’s ancestral home.”

His mother’s ancestral home? Then that can only mean one thing. He went back to England.

Now I can suddenly feel my arms and legs – as if my circulation was cut off, as my body is flooded with relief, knowing where Nadav is now.

“I need to go and see him, please tell me how to get to get there…” I pleaded like my life depended on it.

“I’ll have one of my private planes ready and have someone at the airport pick you up and take you to Nadav.” Jonathan calmly said

A private plane? And then someone will pick me up?

“Oh, no…that’s too much…”

“I insist. If this is the fastest way to put my son out of his misery, I’ll gladly do anything.”

I had nothing to say for the first 10 seconds. I’m partly to blame too for Nadav’s misery…

“Isla, are you still there?”

“Yes, Jonathan…thank you.”

After I told Daniel that he can calm down and that I already know where Nadav is, he collapsed at the sofa. He was so on the edge just like I was, it was as if that hearing the good news was the most pleasant thing he’s heard all his life. I rushed inside our room, got a small suitcase and packed it with any kind of clothes my hands can reach inside the closet. I didn’t think anymore, I just knew that I needed to hurry and meet Jonathan at the hangar where his private jet is kept.

As soon as I arrived, Jonathan and I talked as he gave me simple instructions for when I arrive in England. He told me that the family driver, Lucas, will pick me up at the airport and take me to the ancestral home. He also said that Adelaide, Nadav’s nanny will personally assist me once I arrive, and then I was whisked away inside the plane.

“You’re not coming?” I asked Jonathan.

“Nadav doesn’t want me in Natalie’s home. He feels I violate his mother’s memory every time I set foot in that place.” He sadly explained.

His mother’s memory? Nadav’s mother has passed away? All this time I thought she was alive and is living in England…

I’m not one to insist that Jonathan should come with me, especially that this is a family issue only they can resolve themselves. I just thanked him and went inside the plane.

I barely ate the food that was served inside the plane. Although I did force myself, I could only eat half of what’s on the plate for the sake of my baby.

“You must be tired too…but we need to hang on just a little more so we can see your daddy.”

I whispered as I put my hand over my tummy.

“Just a little more, baby. Just a little more…”

I didn’t fight the sleep that slowly took over and simply let it take over.

The plane was just about to land when I woke up. I opened the window and got a view of the lights down below. I can’t believe I’m in a different country now, all for the sake of wanting to see Nadav again.