Four

Kaori awoke that morning to the sound of a telephone ringing. She wasn't very delighted, hearing that it was not her cell-phone's ringtone, but an obnoxious, standard phone.

She stretched her hand to the black phone and only lifted it from its stand slightly in order to hear whoever was on the other end of it.

"Good morning, Kaori." It was L's monotonous voice, though he didn't seem the least bit tired. "Do you know what time it is?"

The girl didn't necessarily respond. She released an exhausted, unsatisfied groan.

"It's eight o'clock." He informed. "That's normal work hours."

"Mm... too early." Kaori mumbled tiredly.

"I believe I should inform you that Watari and I are the only ones who are able to use surveillance during sleeping hours. Thus, we are the only ones who watched you while you were asleep." When he received no response from the waking girl, his lips curved into a playful grin. His voice diminished into a secretive whisper. "But everyone else is already here. I could very well expose that you seem to hug a pillow like it's a person as you sleep."

She abruptly sat upright and blinked. Her cheeks were flushed with embarrassment. "S-shut up." She muttered threateningly.

"I wonder if this is a normal sleeping position for you..." He trailed.

Kaori angrily gritted her teeth and yelled, "Go to Hell, perverted L!" She then slammed the phone back onto its stand with aggravated strength and proceeded to getting dressed and ready for whatever 'work' the strange man had planned.

Still not fully awake, she trudged to the elevator and down the stairs to the large, not-very-cozy room with the computers.

"Good morning, Miss Inoue!" Matsuda called out to her with a much too cheerful attitude for eight-thirty in the morning.

"That makes me sound like an old woman." Kaori grumbled.

"Ah, Kaori. Do you want coffee or anything?" L offered as he sipped his own, heavily sugared cup.

"I'm not confident that you wouldn't drug it or something, L."

"Matsuda, please bring her coffee. And Kaori, it's Ryuuzaki." The peculiar man ordered as he crouched in his rolling black chair.

"Creepy, Ryuuzaki." She muttered.

As Matsuda rushed off to make another cup of coffee, an excited young blond girl, around the age of Kaori, waltzed down the steps. "Good morning everyone!" She yelled happily just before her sparkling blue eyes focused on the other girl in the room, and then she squealed. "Ah! Who's this?!"

The blonde ran over to where Kaori tiredly lounged on the uncomfortable green sofa. "You're so adorable!" She exclaimed.

The black-haired girl raised an eyebrow, not yet recognizing the spunky girl who dressed in particularly gothic clothing.

"Are you suspected of being Kira, too?" She chimed.

"Uh, no." Kaori responded as Matsuda returned with a dark cup of coffee.

"Oh, good morning Misa-Misa!" The happy young man greeted.

"Hi, Matsu!" The girl, 'Misa-Misa,' returned the excitement.

Kaori narrowed her onyx eyes at the blonde girl. "... as in the Japanese idol, 'Misa-Misa?'" She questioned.

"Yep! That's me!" 'Misa-Misa' struck a pose, displaying a peace sign with two of her fingers and a sparkling smile. "But you can just call me Misa. Who are you?"