Eight

"Ryuu...zaki?"

Once Kaori's savior was confident that the two drunkards were not getting up any time soon, he walked over to where she was kneeling on the ground. He bent his legs in the same strange way he always did, crouching to the girl's level.

With his dull, notably concerned eyes, he looked directly into her terrified gaze. He swept her tousled bangs to the side of her face as she usually worn them. "Let's get back to the Task Force headquarters. We should get those wounds treated."

He stood again and offered his hand to Kaori. When she grabbed ahold of his palm, he could feel that her entire body was shaking, so he placed his other hand under her upper arm in order to provide more assistance as she stood.

Kaori's black eyes became distant after glancing at the two unconscious men as she left the damp alley.

After walking for a few minutes in silence, Ryuuzaki murmured quietly, "I'm sorry I didn't get to you more quickly."

"N-no." She was trembling. "Thank you."

Hearing the grateful words, no matter how short or quietly spoken, surprised Ryuuzaki. He couldn't describe how he felt, but he decided that it was a nice feeling.

The two of them were silent until they reached the fancy tower serving as the Kira Case's headquarters. Disregarding the security, considering it was a special circumstance, they went directly into the computer room where the man led her to the green couch.

He pulled a blanket that was folded on the other side of the sofa onto Kaori and retrieved a first-aid kit from the counter where the coffee pot was. "Matsuda. If you would like to be useful, please make her some herbal tea." He ordered.

No one dared to ask about what had happened. The atmosphere was too uncomfortable and tense.

"You all are dismissed for this evening. Please go to your rooms." Ryuuzaki said as Matsuda set the steaming cup of tea on the coffee table.

As though she had just woken up, Kaori gasped in surprise when she felt cool, water-soaked cotton pressed to her cheek. She looked over to see Ryuuzaki crouched on the couch beside her, holding the dampened gauze to the black bruise on her cheek.

In any other situation, the girl would have yelped and called him something rude. But this time, he wasn't trying to infringe on her privacy or make fun of her. He was trying to help her. And then, there was the undeniable worry in his wide, tired-looking eyes.

"Does that sting?" He asked, his voice possessing an odd tone compared to his typical way of speaking.

Kaori shook her head, but her mouth was too dry to speak.

Ryuuzaki replaced the damp gauze with a dry one. "Where else did they hurt you?"

She held up her right hand which was reddened with bruises. Her ring finger was painted black and blue, and she assumed that it must have been broken. He gently rested his hand under her damaged one and carefully dabbed the wet gauze on her skin. She only winced when he touched the broken finger.

"Sorry." He mumbled. "But this looks like the only thing that’s broken."

Kaori nodded. He placed the dry gauze around her finger and began to wrap it tightly. A stifled cry came from her mouth.

"Have you cried, yet?" Ryuuzaki asked as he avoided meeting her dark gaze, focusing entirely on her injured hand.

She shook her head and bit her lip to keep herself from doing just that: Bawling her eyes out.

"It's a good thing to cry sometimes instead of keeping it to yourself. No one would blame you, and no one's around to see you cry."

This was a side to Ryuuzaki that Kaori didn't think existed. And for once, she allowed herself to believe that he actually did care about her. After all, he was the person that saved her.

Finally, she whimpered and allowed her eyes to cry. Instinctively, she brought her body closer and rested her forehead on her knees and cried relentlessly. Her body shook with every sob.

Ryuuzaki, who seemed so unlike his usual self, wrapped his arm around her shoulder and brought her head to the crevice between his neck and shoulder. Her entire weight rested on him as she cried more and more. He moved his hand up and down her back rhythmically and soothingly.

"You're safe now." He said softly in a gentle voice that Kaori didn't know he had. He massaged the top of her head with his thumb. Despite how they'd never been this close before, their closeness was oddly comfortable.

After a few more minutes of unrelenting tears, Kaori finally stopped crying.  But now, she felt exhausted and every limb of her body ached.  However, for the first time that horrifying night, she felt at peace and safe, nestled within Ryuuzaki's comforting embrace.

"I'm sorry." She muttered quietly.

"Are you thinking that you're at fault?" He asked, though he intended to criticize the fact that she, of all people, was apologizing.

"For troubling you... that's what I'm sorry about.   I'm sorry that I couldn't save myself, and I'm sorry that I got into trouble in the first place." 

"You shouldn't be apologizing." He said calmly.

Kaori became quiet for a few moments before the young man felt her tug on the collar of his white shirt. "Thank you, Ryuuzaki."

Ryuuzaki hummed thoughtfully, not daring to look at the girl in his arms.

"Thank you so, so much." She whispered almost inaudibly.

He then gently grabbed onto her shoulders, sitting her upright as he felt that she didn't need him any more in that way.  She blinked as he reached to the table to grab something.

Before she understood what he was doing, his thumb was on her lips, forcing something into her mouth.  She made a surprised noise as she bit into the food. "...chocolate?"

"Chocolate makes everyone feel better." Ryuuzaki said nonchalantly.

Kaori burst into laughter and when it calmed, she smiled genuinely at the disheveled-looking man. He wore an expression of confusion.  "That's so like you." She chuckled. 

Ryuuzaki's lips curved into a smile.  "It's been a long day.  You should get some rest. I'll walk with you."

There was a warm aura between the two of them as the silently headed to the girl's designated apartment, but as soon as she opened the door, he turned to leave.  "Good night, Kaori." He said with a short wave.

She watched him leave for a moment, then something tugged at her heart, telling her that this may be the only chance she had.

She jogged to catch up to him and tugged on his wrist with her non-injured hand.  He looked down at her, surprise reflecting in his dull eyes.

Kaori averted her onyx gaze as a light blush glowed on her cheeks.  "Ryuuzaki... are you... Lawliet?"

Ryuuzaki looked away immediately to hide any emotion that may have crossed over his face.

"I'm sorry, but that's not my name."