Twenty One

"You should've never given me your name."

Kaori froze; her eyes pried open with shock at Edward's words. From spending time with Ryuuzaki she was confident in one fact about Kira: He or she needed a name and face to kill.

If her deductive reasoning was correct, the man looming over her had just announced that he was the Kira in California that she and Ryuuzaki had been looking for.

She also understood that by giving him her name when they met, he could easily kill her at a moment's notice. She began to reason with herself that today she would die by the hands of Kira.

"Now, I'm rather fond of you Kaori Inoue, so if you do as I ask, I won't kill you."

She wanted to say something, yet she didn't know particularly what to say. But the hand over her mouth prevented her from doing so.

"Surely, you know your oh-so-confident boss's real name, right?" Edward's sickening grin widened. "Or is he secretly your boyfriend or something? How nice; an office scandal. I didn't realize you were into that sort of thing, Kaori."

In attempt to defend herself against whatever accusations the man made of her, she tried to shout a few words. However, his hand muffled her voice.

"Are you going to tell me his name? Nod for 'yes,' and if it's a 'no...'Well, I won't allow it to be a 'no.'"

Kaori knew that no one actually knew Ryuuzaki's real name, including her. He didn't seem to plan to tell anyone either.

Edward's grasp tightened around the girl's mouth as he grew impatient. She felt his bones kneed into her jaw painfully. "What is it, Kaori?"

Slowly, she nodded and averted her gaze. Some people had the gift of understanding a person's thoughts if they looked them directly in the eye, and Ryuuzaki was one of those people. Yet, she wasn't sure if Edward could do so, so she decided to take the safer route.

His grip on her jaw loosened slightly, freeing her to speak while his grasp on her torso tightened.

"I do not know Ryuuzaki's real name." She said quietly.

Edward frowned bitterly. "What...?"

"I don't know his real name." She repeated. "No one does besides him."

He clicked his tongue irritably and pinched her chin. "You're lying." He accused.

"I'm not." She claimed through gritted teeth.

"That pathetic excuse of a man is painfully in love with you — it's annoying to watch. Of course he would've told you. You have to know."

This infuriated Kaori. Fueled by anger, she gained enough adrenaline to push Edward's hand off of her face as she tried to kick herself from his grasp.

"First of all, I'm almost positive Ryuuzaki is incapable of falling in love." She grunted. "Also, you have no right to call him pathetic!" She yelled, trying one last time to kick the dark-haired man.

But he simply swung his legs over her waist and pinned her to the ground. Just as quickly, he forced his lips onto hers. She tried to pull her face away, but Edward was just too strong as he effortlessly countered her weak, feminine attacks. She felt the muscles in his lips try to pry open her own, which would further allow him to possess her mouth.

The act disgusted her as she tried to free herself. He let go momentarily and looked down at the girl with dominant and controlling blue orbs. "A true man who loved you would have kissed you already, like I have. But judging by the way that boss of your's presents himself, he probably hasn't."