Eighteen

"Perhaps you're jealous...?"

Kaori raised a brow at Ryuuzaki.

"I'm not jealous." He retorted with a frown. 

Her lips curved into a mischievous smile. "You're jealous." She hummed playfully. "Say, have you even had your first kiss, yet?"

"Of course." He answered quickly, and the girl knew it wasn't true.

"Liar." She accused.  "Your jealous because I can kiss someone." She began to taunt him by pressing on, but she was unaware that her accusations were for the wrong reasons.

"That's ridiculous." Ryuuzaki scoffed. "And hardly true." 

Kaori placed a finger to her lips. "You're jealous because you've never kissed anyone.  If you want to change that..." She trailed, obviously flirting excessively just to tease him. "... all you have to do is ask."

He seemed slightly surprised by the offer as he blinked quickly. Under the moonlight, she could still see a slight blush rise to his cheeks. She felt pride over her success at making the young man feel frantic over the 'kissing' situation. 

"I wouldn't ask something like that of you." He said honestly.

She chuckled at his comments. "How chivalrous of you."

Ryuuzaki put his hands in his suit pockets. "It's not about chivalry.  I care too much about you to ask for a kiss from you." He said, entirely serious despite the fact that Kaori was jokingly offering her lips.  Yet, his kindness and deep consideration of her feelings did make her feel happy.

She smiled sweetly and took a step closer to the young man.  She rose to the tips of her toes and kissed his cheek.  She then sighed, and felt that the mood should lighten in the heavy atmosphere.

"I think we should get some ice cream." Kaori suggested.  "It's been a long night."

"That sounds fantastic."

-----+-----

Surprisingly, the closest ice cream shop was open at such a late hour. With both Kaori and Ryuuzaki carrying a cup of ice cream, they sat on a nearby bench, heavily lit by light poles.

They were quiet as they each ate from their cups.  But it wasn't awkward or uncomfortable.  It felt safe and peaceful.

Ryuuzaki broke the silence. "I still don't like that Edward guy."  He mentioned with a spoonful of ice cream in his mouth.  He was sitting in his typical couching position, his cup on his knees.

The girl laughed softly. "You haven't neglected to share your opinion." 

"I really don't trust him."

"Do you really trust anyone?" She accused light-heartedly. "You can be pretty analytical."

"I trust you." He said simply.

Kaori thought for a moment, deeply considering his words. "So, you really believe he's a bad person?"

"I'm not sure he's a bad person; there's no proof of that.  But I can assure that I don't trust him with you."  He explained after he swallowed.

"Okay." Was the only things she said.

He raised a brow at her. "... okay?" He repeated.

"Yeah, I hear what you're saying." She took another spoonful of ice cream.

"...and...?" He trailed on, waiting for her to continue.

"I will no longer pay attention to him.  I won't see him, and I won't kiss him." Her words were nonchalant, but he definitely took note of them.