Chapter Two × Holy Fuck

When I open my eyes, my head throbs - rejecting the sunlight that's pouring in through the window

When I open my eyes, my head throbs - rejecting the sunlight that's pouring in through the window. Looking over, there's a mess of blonde hair sprawled across the pillow beside me - which only makes the pounding in my head worse.

This is why I hate bringing girls back to my place, they never leave. But last night I was drunk, horny, and didn't feel like waiting the thirty minute Uber ride to rip off her (Sam's?) clothes. This morning, I'm starting to seriously regret that decision.

A one night stand is kind of like a microwavable dinner; quick, easy, with the sole purpose of filling a need. When I was younger, casual sex was what I lived for. There was no getting hurt, no feelings involved, and no work that came with an actual relationship.

But somewhere along the line, when all my friends started getting wifed up and having kids, I began to want more. No longer satisfied with random hookups, I wanted a partner in crime, a best friend that I got to have sex with.

If you think the dating scene is bad for regular people, you should see the one professional athletes have to navigate. Gold diggers, clout chasers; nobody actually wants you for you. I know lots of guys in the league that have stayed with their high school sweethearts just to avoid starting all over with someone new - who may only be in it for the Instagram followers.

Leaving the blonde asleep in my bed, I grab a change of clothes and go to take a shower. The dark circles under my eyes have only gotten worse over the last few weeks - leaving behind my life in Toronto had not been a decision I made lightly.

After all, they were the team that drafted me – a mere eight years ago. Toronto was my hometown, my parents lived there, and the guys had become a second family to me. The thought of leaving had never even crossed my mind. Until I walked into my coach's office a few months ago; and found him going to town – on my mom.

Which would be scarring enough if my parents were divorced - but they're not. And even after my mom's infidelity, my dad still stayed with her. 

"The Toronto Maple Leafs announced the trade of Erik King to the Portland Pirates, earlier this week. In exchange, Toronto will be receiving Fredrick Anders, Elion Petroski, Lars Dansk, and Portland's first round draft pick in the upcoming NHL draft." Elliotte Friedman's voice blares from the TV when I come out of the bathroom.

The blonde from last night (Sarah?), is wide awake and sitting back against the hotel bedframe - watching Sportsnet. "Hey." She says, smiling when she looks over at me. This is officially my last one night stand, ever.

I'm not some dick that was whispering sweet nothings in her ear all night just to get into her pants. I made it explicitly clear that I was only looking to hookup; and wasn't interested in any sort of relationship with her. And yet, here she is - lingering around my hotel room, wearing one of my t-shirts.

"Hey." I try to mask the irritation in my voice. There's nothing wrong with her; she's got a great body, amazing tits, and really good with her mouth. But that's all this was - sex. It's not like we had some crazy amazing connection that would warrant her still being here.