11

At the hotel, Mitch showered first. As soon as he finished, Heidi took her shower. Annika was planning on taking a bath, so she decided to wait.

While Heidi was in the shower, Annika walked up to Mitch and turned off the TV. "Let me help you."

"No, it's okay. I'm fine." Mitch sat on the bed.

As she grabbed a towel, she said, "You're not."

She dabbed his wound and after a moment, Mitch asked, "How are you holding up?"

"I was afraid today. I thought we were going to die. Heidi didn't seem scared. She's strong."

"Yeah, I'm either always afraid or never afraid. I don't know which. Heidi was afraid, but her anger outweighed her fear. It's one of the many things I love most about her."

After bandaging Mitch's wound, Annika smiled. "There you go. Just relax now." She stood. "We'll search for Ghost tomorrow."

Mitch nodded as he eyed her suspiciously. Annika hadn't been present when he, Hurley and Heidi had spoken to the man in the car.

Heidi stepped out of the bathroom wearing shorts and a tank-top. She ran a hand through her wet hair and asked, "Are you okay?"

Mitch nodded. "Yeah, but I'm pretty certain we've been compromised."

"Annika?" she asked softly.

Mitch nodded. "I'm gonna confront her. Stay here, okay?"

"Don't do anything stupid."

Mitch smiled slightly and placed a gentle hand to Heidi's cheek before walking away.

He entered the bathroom. Annika turned to see him and let out a breath. "You scared me."

"Who are you?" Mitch demanded.

"What do you mean?"

"You said 'Ghost'."

"What about him?"

She was good, he had to admit, but he wasn't fooled by her feigning innocence. "I never told you that name."

"Hurley did."

Mitch roughly pushed her against the wall. "Yeah, I think you're full of shit."

"Mitch."

"Who are you?"

"Mitch, what's wrong with you? Heidi, help!"

Heidi appeared and narrowed her eyes at Annika. "Your pleas aren't going to help you. Who are you really?

Mitch demanded, "Who do you work for?"

"I'm CIA," Annika told them.

"Now don't fucking lie to me!" Mitch cried, hitting the wall. Heidi jumped and moved back with a wary expression as she glanced at him.

"I'm not lying!"

"You're Iranian, aren't you?"

"Get the fuck away from me!" she yelled, pushing him back.

She hit him where he'd gotten hurt and he groaned. Mitch judo-flipped Annika over his shoulder and she landed on the ground. He held his hands to her neck and asked, "Are you working with the Iranians? Tell me the truth. Tell me the truth!"

"Go to hell!" Annika answered breathlessly.

Mitch picked her up and slammed her against the wall before forcing her underwater. After a moment, he lifted her up and asked, "You Iranian intelligence? Are you Iranian intelligence?" He forced her back underwater before asking his next question. "What do you know about Ghost?" He forced her back underwater.

Heidi said in a slightly wavering voice, "She's not gonna talk. We need get her to Hurley."

Mitch nodded, knowing she was right. He glanced back, seeing her wary expression. "Heidi? Are you okay?"

She nodded slowly, then shook her head.

"What scared you?"

"You did."

"Me? How?"

"Threatening Annika reminded me- It um-"

Mitch's gaze softened. "I reminded you of the terrorists that captured you."

She glanced down. "Yeah."

He stepped closer to her and cupped her face. "I'm sorry, Heidi. I don't want to scare you."

"I know it wasn't purposeful. I'm sorry. I just- I feel like I'm being a child."

"Heidi, you're not being a child and you don't have to apologize. PTSD isn't something to be taken lightly. If anyone should be sorry, it's me." He tilted her chin up gently. "I'm sorry for scaring you, Heidz."

Heidi smiled slightly. "It's all right. Just, uh, try to not again."

Mitch tucked her hair back. "I won't, darling."

She nodded. "Now let's deal with the girl who knew too much."