Chapter 1 - Noah

Standing in front of my mirror, I no longer feel like the twenty-five-year-old lawyer that left for meetings this morning. Sure, I'm wearing the same navy suit and tie, but I feel like I have been transported back to my senior year of high school. I feel giddy and nervous at the same time, so, yeah, the real seventeen-year-old Noah Flynn. Not the one who acted like a badass and drove a motorcycle; the one who made both go-go eyes and glares at his brother's best friend from across the room. She taught me so much about myself. And it wasn't until I let her go that I realized the positive impact she had on me. I couldn't go back to who I was before her. The player, the cool guy, it wasn't me. It was the façade I put up, the walls she broke down. I know I was enough for her, but looking in the mirror, I think I finally became what she wanted me to be, the real Noah. Not the Flynn I was parading around as for ten years.

I haven't seen her in six years, not since I left her standing on the beach, asking her to never forget me. We weren't on bad terms or anything, schedules didn't line up. Thanksgivings and Christmases were now spent apart due to her father being with her stepmom, Linda's family. My graduation was missed due to classes, her graduation missed due to work. We were just busy. I still checked in on her, wished her a happy birthday, responded to her birthday texts to me. And that was that. I also may have asked Lee about her, every time I saw him, or talked to him. But besides the breadcrumbs I had gotten from everyone, Elle Evans remained a figure of my past. I think she thought that once we broke up, I would forget about her. To be honest part of me tried, but no matter what happened between us, she would always be the little girl I grew up with, my brother's best friend, my mother's adopted daughter, my first love.

I've dated since her, well, dated may be a strong word. I've been on dates since her, but I have never had a serious relationship since her. I initially chalked it up to being busy, but the truth was, no one had really caught my eye, captivated me the way Elle had. I wasn't still pining for her or anything but once you've met someone who changed your life in such an amazing way, it's not just hard to forget, but it's a tough act to follow.

Hence, why I feel like a nervous teenager tonight. It was my parent's thirtieth anniversary today, so, Lee and I, being the amazing, loving children, we are decided to throw them a surprise party. Lee was actually the one to come up with this idea, but I was a convinced Elle was probably the one to bring it up first. She was, or course, invited, but her attendance was up in the air due to a business trip she had to attend. I really hoped she could make it though, I know her being here would mean a lot to my mom, and to Elle, also.

I was removed from my thoughts by the ringing cell phone in my pocket, displaying a goofy picture of Lee across it.

"Hey man, what's up?" I answered, walking out of my hotel. I didn't want my parents to think anything was up by me being in town, and Lee's place was a bit cramped with both he and Rachel, and Rachel's stuff. Plus, my job meetings were in the city, it just made better sense to stay here.

"So, mom and dad may have found out about the party..."

"What! Lee, you had one job!"

"I know, I know, but the venue flooding so I had to move it to the house. They love it and are so excited, but it's just not a surprise anymore." Lee argued.

I pinched the bridge of my nose before resting my hand on the back of my neck, a nervous habit of mine. "Okay, I guess we can make this work."

"Already done, the venue is sending their people to decorate and cater the party, and they are giving us fifty percent off as compensation!"

"Okay, that works," I said getting into my car, which will now be headed to my parent's house. "Hey, any news on Elle?"

He sighed, "No, I talked with her last night, she was working on getting an earlier flight with her company, but because it was international, she wasn't sure if it would work."