3

The girl looked. Some procession of noblemen that were riding in the street at that moment stopped and then was looking at that scene. Those words came from the man riding in the head of it. He was the closest to the place of incident. All men around bent their backs and put their right hands on their hearts. Women lowered their heads, folded their hands before them and bent  their knees. The rich man seeing the procession too stood up in such way. His servants who were holding the lad too bent and make him bent. One Irbis stood dully at her spot staring at the high figure in a saddle.

"Why do you not greet me?" the stranger addressed the girl.

"Good afternoon, Sir," she said nodding her head to him.

Giggles were heard in the crowed but were immediately stopped by the look of that man.

"Not so!" some whisper was heard near her.

"But how then?" She asked in normal voice turning her head in the direction from where the voice came.

"So!" shouted the rich man.

He took her roughly with one hand by her hair and lowered her head, with another one gathered her hands and made her bent her knees.

"Set her free, Glodhem," the man ordered.

The rich man obeyed. The girl quickly recovered from the unexpected pain and looked again at the man on a horse.

"Do you not know me?" the man asked.

"To tell you the truth, Sir, no, I don't... But I see that you must be someone important."

More laughs were heard in the crowed and among noblemen in the procession. That man ordered all of them to be quiet.

"So what happened here?" asked he strictly.

"Why! Isn't it clear?" suddenly interfered one horseman from the procession in bright clothes. "Glodhem wanted to taste how sweet the girl is but it happened so that it was he who was tasted. Very likely that she liked him and decided to make her feast. Only look how she clutched at him with her teeth! And now she is going to cook him. Yes, but I should say, miss, that Glodhem is to too fat and greasy for such little stomach so I'd rather advise you to take the boy."

"What nonsense is this?" the girl was a bit stupefied by such speech.

"Tobro! Be so kind to be quiet too. And now I demand explanations," said the first horseman.

"Oh, Your Greatest Excellency the..." quickly started the rich man.

"Stuck to the point, Glodhem," the first horseman interrupted him.

"Oh, what only happens in this world! You see, I was here telling off my negligent servant when this wench suddenly interfered and started threatening me. I wanted to make this damsel see who she is..."

"We see it, Glodhem. And you succeeded much in it," said the man in bright clothes giggling.

"I wanted to placate this scoundrel but instead this bully knocked me down, beat me and threatened with a dagger attempting on my life!"

"Glodhem, do really think that I will believe all this. Only look at this girl. She seems to raise nothing heavier than dolls in all her life and you say that she knocked you down and beat you," the first man answered to this.

"You don't look at her! In this sheep's clothing there is such a wolf that you cannot even imagine!"

"Then why didn't you defend yourself? Why! Her fist is smaller than your eye!"

"I... I..." the rich man was taken back. "I was puzzled... just like you... I couldn't even imagine... Everything happened so quickly... Besides, you've seen how she threatened me with a dagger."

"See you all," again commented the brightly-clothed one, "sometimes it may be very very unpleasant to fall on your back in a woman's company."

"And you, miss," the first man suddenly addressed himself to Irbis. "Why don't you say anything in your defence?"

"I was taught that speaking people shouldn't be interrupted and (emphasising) liars and fools especially. To tell you the truth, I was amazed by the power of this man's fantasy. I was very interested to listen to him till the end and ready to wait till the moment when I will be able to say my modest speech."

"So am I a liar? So am I a fool?" Glodhem became red of fierce.

"I didn't say this, Sir. On the contrary, I was impressed by your imagination."

"You see, Glodhem," the brightly-clothed one laughed. "And you call her bully."

"Besides, this concernes you, Tobro, too," the first horseman remarked. "And now I want to hear you, miss."

Irbis told everything what had happened. After it had been heard about Glodhem's cruelty towards the lad a relatively young horseman from the procession asked the rich man about a contract. It was found out there wasn't signed any contract at all and Glodhem at once became anxious.

"And now you all listen to me," the first man commanded. "The lad should be taken to the orphanage. You, Evenrille, examine Glodhem's case. And what is about you, miss," Irbis was again addressed. "I advise you not to interfere in street skirmishes. You risk getting into great troubles."

The first man said this all and rode away with other men. Two men's dialogue could be heard in the departing procession.

"A beautiful girl... Were I in Glodhem's shoes, I think I too couldn't stand."

"Oh, yes... She is almost as beautiful as Lady Dilarita."

"And I think she is even better."

"Only don't tell it to Dilarita."

"She'll become so angry!"

Both laughed and only a cloud of dust was left of them. Irbis again was left alone. The sky started blueing and she still hadn't found any shelter for herself. Everywhere money was needed and she had none at all. A desperate idea came to her head. She had a gold medallion made very exquisitely. It was clear that not a good but great jeweller worked on it. But on the other hand, she was found with this medallion and it was the only clue to find her real family. The late Sir Armin used to say that she could probably discover some threads in Rielnast. No, selling this precious thing was just impossible. If only she could have got some means and set off for it. But where and how could she find them?

The answer to her question came itself. There was an enormous magic mirror telling different news and advertisements. Suddenly such one came: "Sirvantame. A game for the bravest and brightest one. Make through it and win one million of wers." There also was showed the address where to go for application. Irbis remembered that her father told her that in Westonia Union a single financial system was approved. Weds were copper money, wilts were made of silver and wers of gold. That sum must have been very great money. She decided to risk it.