9|The Path Forged Ahead

Her eyes pried open and light filtering in through an open window illuminated the plush interior of her room. Mai frowned, confused by the change. Where did the hours go and how was she in her room? The disorientation lasted for a few seconds however. The feelings she had experienced the evening before came to her vividly, this time without the accompanying intensity. She groaned softly and broke her eyes away from the window. She paused, beholding the sight before her.

Henry

He was lying a few feet away from her on his side, asleep. His glossy hair laid listlessly over his forehead; his closed eyes obscured by his glasses. Watching him lying so close, he felt different. Every inhale and exhale were a sudden novelty to her. This was a blank sheet moment. She could make up a fairytale character; the gallant knight who rescued the distressed princess locked up in a tower, from the peaceful look on his face. She stayed still for fear that the slightest stir would wake him up. She didn't want the moment to pass for some strange reason.

At once, Henry's eyes flew open. Her heart skipped a beat. She looked on as he blinked once, then twice but made no sudden movements. He watched her watch him. Moments passed between them with no words. Then slowly, he reached out his left hand and touched her forehead. Her heart sped up.

"Your fever is gone." he hummed then sat up. He took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. Mai sat up after him. With the moment gone, she was besides herself, increasingly becoming flustered.

"Thank you." she said, "For taking care of me."

"Has this ever happened before?"

She shook her head. She had no idea what this even was.

"You had a panic attack."

"A panic attack?" She was shocked and it showed on her face.

"Yes, and it would happen again if you don't get help."

"What kind of help?" she asked, casting her gaze down. She was almost certain of what he was going to say but she needed to hear it.

"A therapist." he stated, "As soon as possible. I would set up an appointment with someone I know."

"Why can't it be you? You are a psychologist after all."

"A psychiatrist and would you..." he leaned in close, "tell me your deepest secrets?" Her hands shook with anxious energy as she avoided his gaze. "People tend to let their guard down better with strangers."

Mai was unable to find a response. She suddenly felt chills running down her back. She turned her gaze to the windows. They were closed. Why was she suddenly cold then? Rubbing up and down the length of her arms, she rocked back and forth slowly. Warm hands grabbed her wrists and she snapped her gaze to Henry.

"What is it, Mai?

"Can I..." she swallowed with an inaudible click, "Does it ..."

"Tell me." His voice was firm.

"I don't think I'm ready."

He laughed. A queer reaction to the austere nature of her confession. "That is quite alright. Take the time you need." He let go and stood from the bed, making his way to the door. He paused, turning back to her. "But it can't be too long, love. Insanity is a bizarre parasite. Best to nip it in the bud."

He disappeared into the hallway and she was left to process his parting words. A long-drawn sigh flew past her lips. How did she get to this, she thought? She was strong, had always been. Now she had anxiety issues? Was God punishing her or was this a test? A storm before rainbows tale perhaps. Whatever it might be, it was so unfair and burdensome.