3| The Regret

His body had been found two weeks later and Mai's life had never been the same since. That was a month ago. She had become a recluse stuck in the walls of her apartment. Her life now consisted of crying and sulking. Even eating was an afterthought. She had lost her job after her boss got tired of waiting for her to get a grip of herself so she had no reason to leave the house. Her friend and former colleague, Hannah, stopped by occasionally. Mai was sure she was probably fed up too since she hardly spoke to her when she did come around.

As usual she laid wide awake on the bed, staring at the painting chipping off the ceiling. The world was dark and asleep yet she couldn't bring herself to do same. Anytime she shut her eyes, she saw Kofi's face, the deformed one that is. She had thrown up on the floor when she was called to identify the body. She couldn't believe that was him, she refused to believe it. The once mesmerizing face was replaced with decay and peeled off skin. She had shed tears profusely that day for what he had been reduced to, a defaced stinky corpse and hadn't stopped since.

Tears begun to stream down her face, she didn't stop them. She felt it was all her fault. If he hadn't been with her, she was sure he would still be alive. She was a walking curse, she concluded. Everyone she cares for dies, her parents and now her boyfriend. Her sobs echoed off the walls of her room, reminding her of how truly alone she was destined to be.

Loud and incessant knocks reached her from somewhere. Mai reluctantly opened her eyes, groaning in the process. The lights seeping through her window was too bright. It was morning already, she realized. Nevertheless she stumbled out of bed. As she walked down the hall to the door, she heard her name being shouted out from beyond the door, Hannah. She yanked the door open with a frown.

"What?"

Hannah rolled her eyes and pushed her way inside, "Today is Kofi's funeral. Get dressed."

"What?" the news shocked her so much. Had so much time passed her by? "How did you know that?"

"If you actually took time to care about those of us outside, you would know as well. Here" Hannah chastised, feeling slightly angry about her friend's neglect. She thrust an envelope in her hands. "I found this your post box."

Mai turned over the letter in her hands slowly. It had her name written in a cursive handwriting. She tore it open to find an invitation to the private funeral of Kofi Coleman. Tears refused to flow this time as she read it. It was like her tears ducts had finally dried up. She then said "I'll go get ready."

A stain in a white veil, tainting the beautiful garment. That was she felt as she made her way up the gravel path to the cathedral. She didn't get far though as she was stopped by the hateful glare thrown at her by none other than Mrs. Coleman.

"Wicked witch! Are you here to gloat in our faces." She cried, drawing attention to the recipient of her harsh words. "Why are you even here? Isn't it enough that you killed my son, now you show your disgraceful face for what? Huh! You have succeeded so what do you want now?" she broke out into a hysteria afterwards and had to be carried inside.

Mai stayed rooted to her spot taking in everything the older woman said. She couldn't defend herself because all she had said was true. She was truly evil.

"Let's go inside." Hannah's voice reached her but she couldn't bring herself to follow through with her suggestion. Slowly she shook her head.

"You go on ahead." With that she turned and stalked down the gravel path, ignoring Hannah's calls. She found herself in front the cemetery where he was to be buried. She walked inside, feeling like the atmosphere present, dreadful. There were a lot of grave stones arranged neatly in rolls. She wandered aimlessly between them before spotting a bench under a large neem tree. She perched herself on it and gazed at the outside world. She found herself wondering if the dead did this at night as well. Watch hopelessly as the world passed them by without a second glance.