2| The Complex

She inhaled deeply, the sweet aroma of food filling up her nose. She opened her eyes in search of the source, only to gaze into the amusing face of Kofi.

"Knew that would get you to wake up. Even in slumber, your nose seem to be awake." He teased as she sat up.

"Oh shut up!" she retorted. Her eyes then fell on the tray next to him laden with English breakfast, a tea kettle, a plate of steaming hot croissants and buns and another filled with pancakes. "What is all this?"

"Breakfast in bed. I thought you've heard of it before." Mai tilted her head slightly with a warning glare, earning a peck from him. "I just wanted to surprise you and honestly I was expecting you to be gushing about how romantic I am by now."

She laughed and decided to humour him. With her hands clasped and lashes batting, she squealed "Oh my gosh, how romantic!"

He grinned from ear to ear, content. "Let's eat." he said, placing the tray in front of her.

"Let me brush first." She stumbled out of bed and padded her way to the bathroom. She didn't know the time but it was already past sunrise. The sea waves floated onto the sandy front in the distance and the coconut trees swayed gently with the breeze. She returned moments later feeling refreshed. She climbed into bed, immediately reaching for a pancake. She bit into the sugary goodness and let out a satisfying moan.

"That good?"

She nodded and took another bit. She thanked him when he handed her a steaming cup of creamy tea. They spent their breakfast in bliss, reiterating their plans for the day. They were going to spend the rest of the morning in bed then in the afternoon, they would go swimming and jet ski riding. She happily agreed to them, unable to hide her giddiness until the sun was high up in the sky.

~

Mai couldn't remember the last time she was scared and excited at the same time. That was exactly how she felt when she came off the jet ski. She still felt like she was still riding a wave as she marched on the sandy beach. They passed other lovers who were basking in the sun's mild rays.

"I'm exhausted!" she exclaimed as they made their way back to their room after discarding the life jackets at the tuck shop. "But I really had fun. Thank you for bringing me here."

Kofi sent a heartwarming smile her for leaning to give her quick peck on the lip "Don't mention it."

She smiled warmly like a love struck teenager, clinging to him so she could come down from the tidal high. As soon as they crossed the threshold into the cabin, she sunk on the couch with a groan with her eyes shut. It wasn't until she felt a nudge did she open them. "Thank you" she said, taking the bottle thrust in her face.

Kofi sat at the end of the couch, raising her feet and placing them back on his laps. He begun massaging them, eliciting a gratuitous moan from her. He turned to view her peaceful demeanour as he continued to rub her feet. Clearly she was enjoying it so much that she fell asleep. He gently carried her sleeping form and laid her down on the bed. He found himself glued his spot, watching her intake and exhale of air like it was the most spectacular thing on earth. Painstakingly, he moved away from her and out of the room.

Mai woke up to a dimly lit room. She looked out the glass door to notice the night sky. With a grunt, she turned on her side, feeling the bed. Instead of Kofi, her fingers grazed a hard surface. She sat up and turned on the switch. Light flooded the room, causing her to squint until her eyes adjusted to them. Reaching for the large blue box, several thoughts run through her mind about what it could be. A wide smile found its way to her lips when she opened it. A note laid inside with her name written beautifully in cursive. She quickly unfolded it.