Chapter 13: Demons

A/N: Hey guys! I hope you all are well. The next chapter is ready for your entertainment. I don't have a lot of updates, but I do have to ask: who else is loving What If...? The first episode was awesome!

I hope you enjoy this chapter, I will update again as soon as possible!

- Harper E. Pierce

BRIAR:

Tony had my wrist in his metal hand as he flew up to the HYDRA base in Sokovia. Not ten minutes earlier, we parked the quinjet in the forest far back from the base, hoping to attack the base in surprise. I was supposed to help Stark infiltrate the base and guide him around it towards the lab, while Steve was to meet us there and inspect the perimeter. As we approached one of the windows of the base, Stark suddenly hit an invisible wall at the side of the building, sending me flying into it. Tony accidentally dropped me.

"FUCK!" I yelled.

"SHIT!" Tony followed, now grabbing hold of my ankle and pulling me up.

"Language!" Steve corrected us over the intercom. "JARVIS, what's the view from upstairs?"

"The central building is protected by some kind of energy shield. Strucker's technology is well beyond any other HYDRA base we've taken." JARVIS replied over the intercom.

"Yeah no shit, I think my shoulder just felt it," I grumbled.

"Well, I'm sorry princess for following your instructions of going through the rooftop entrance!"

"Will you two shut up? We have more important things to do!" Natasha snapped.

"Loki's sceptre must be here. Strucker couldn't mount this defence without it. At long last." I heard Thor's hammer return to his hand over the intercom. They were the defence team. Keep HYDRA's soldiers distracted while Stark, Steve and I get inside.

"'At long last,' is lasting a little long, guys," Nat commented.

"Yeah. I think we lost the element of surprise," Clint added.

"Wait a second. No one else is going to deal with the fact that Cap just said 'language?'" Tony asked incredulously, while

"Don't be surprised, he's been doing that since we were kids," I told him as we continued to try to find ways into the building.

"I know, I know. It just slipped out," Steve muttered.

"Sir, the city is taking fire," said JARVIS.

"Well, we know Strucker's not going to worry about civilian casualties. Send in the Iron Legion," Tony replied.

"Stark, could you get a scan on this place for any cracks in the shield?"

"I get that you're a mechanic Baker, but it's an energy shield. Either it's up or it's down," Stark shot back. Suddenly, I heard gunshots in the background coming from the defence team, followed by a voice I hadn't heard before. I remembered a distinct male voice with a thick Eastern European accent saying "you didn't see that coming?"

"Guys, what's going on?" I asked.

"We have an enhanced in the field," Steve replied.

"Guys, Clint's hit!" Natasha told us."

"Stark, we really need to get inside," I could tell Steve and I's impatience was grating on Tony's nerves.

"Jesus Christ, with the two of you ancient artifacts frozen for so many years, you'd think at least one of you would learn some goddamn patience," he snarked, "JARVIS, am I...closing in? Do you see a power source for that shield?"