Stolen Souls: Further Confessions

AN: I don't know if anyone ever watched Melrose Place- I never did. However, I do know that Anthony Tyler Quinn (Mr. Turner) appeared in a handful of episodes, one of which is referenced in this chapter.

The stillness of the apartment made it impossible for Shawn to concentrate on anything, much less math homework. There was something decidedly wrong. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Jon sitting on the couch staring blankly at the television. Shawn wrinkled his nose and tapped his lips with his pencil. What was wrong, he determined, was that Audrey wasn't with them.

One good thing about being a kid was being able to bug the heck out of adults until they gave you the information you wanted, just so you'd shut up. Shawn decided to take advantage of this and joined Jon on the couch.

Jon was sitting with one arm extended out over the couch's arm and holding the remote. His free hand covered his mouth. The far-away look in his eyes made it apparent that he wasn't paying attention to what was on the TV screen.

Shawn glanced at the television and then at Jon. "So," he began brightly. "This is a good episode of Melrose Place."

Jon looked at him without changing his position.

"Yeah," Shawn continued cheerily, knowing that Jon hated soaps of any kind. "This is the one where Rory marries Heather Locklear's character."

Jon sighed and handed Shawn the remote.

Shawn's mouth twisted into a perplexed frown. This wasn't going quite the way he had expected. After some thought, he felt it best to cut to the chase. He already knew what was bothering Jon.

"So," he tried again, "When are you going to go get her?"

Jon didn't acknowledge that he had heard him.

"C'mon, Jon," Shawn smiled knowingly. "I know that's what you're thinking..."

Jon gave him an annoyed look. "And just how would you know that?"

Shawn shrugged proudly. "It's a gift. But seriously, when are you going to go get her?"

A blank look fogged over Jon's gaze again. "Dunno. I can't get a hold of her. She's not answering her phone."

Shawn regarded him steadily. "She'll start her shift at Hannigan's soon, so why don't you go there?"

From the expression on his friend's face it was obvious that he hadn't thought of that.

"Nah," Jon shook his head. "It wouldn't do any good. She's made it abundantly clear that she doesn't want to have anything to do with me."

Shawn rolled his eyes. "So she was a little steamed this afternoon. Audrey'll be over it by now. I'm even willing to bet that she's mooning over whether or not to come over here."

Jon gave a snort of derision. "And how would a fifteen-year-old kid like you know that?" he said, half-jokingly.

Shawn tried to conceal his smile. "Hey, when I like the subject I study hard."

That garnered a small smile from his teacher

Shawn brushed a stray lock of hair behind his ear. "Really though, you ought to tell her."

"I have told her that I'm sorry," Jon frowned. "And a lot of good that did me."

"That's not what I meant." Shawn carefully watched for Jon's reaction to what he was about to propose. "I meant that you should go tell her that you love her."

Now Shawn had Jon's undivided attention.

"Excuse me?" Jon stared slack-jawed at the boy next to him, unable to believe what he was hearing. "I should tell her what?"