Chapter 10

Taehyun stood in the middle of what seemed to be Seoul's largest mansion (or a place that was pretty damn close), with a drunken Beomgyu linked to his arm at a New Year's Eve party that he never wanted to attend.

How had he gotten into this situation, you ask? It's a long story.

--

Beomgyu :)

Incoming audio call...

Taehyun hurriedly picked up the incoming call while on his evening run, slightly concerned as to why the other was calling him- they had only ever exchanged brief text messages asking to meet. It was New Year's Eve, so wouldn't the actor have events to attend? Taehyun usually declined New Year's Eve parties favouring a quiet night at home, but he knew that Beomgyu would probably receive triple the number of invites he got.

Taehyun slowed down and took a seat on a nearby bench, bringing up the phone to his ear. Beomgyu didn't even spare him any time for formalities.

"Right so this is way too much information to convey through text and I can't meet you right now- wait why are you panting?"

"I was jogging- continue?" Taehyun's gut feeling was telling him that Beomgyu was probably going to ask him for a favour.

"As I was saying- you know Mrs Park right? The director?" Beomgyu questioned through the other end of the line.

"Yeah, the one with the asshole husband, why do you ask?"

"So I've been invited to her New Year's Eve party tonight and Yeonjun was supposed to be my plus one but he had some last minute plans and can't come- and now I have no one else to go with but Yeonjun is prohibiting me from going alone in case I go around causing trouble, so now he's asking me to bring you along and I know you hate parties but I really have to go cause I need to get on her good side and I know this is a really big favour to ask cause you probably have other plans but-,"

"I don't have any plans," Taehyun interrupted Beomgyu, allowing him to catch his breath.

"So... is that a yes?"

"Sure, why not?"

"Okay! You can get ready in like an hour right? I'll come and pick you up. See you then," Beomgyu spoke before hanging up. Taehyun widened his eyes at the given time limit, before getting off the bench and breaking into a sprint back home.

--

Soon he found himself next to Beomgyu in what seemed to be a mansion rented out just for the party, teeming with Korea's top household names, actors, idols and business conglomerates alike. Mrs Park clearly hadn't done this half-assed, considering the brand name gift bags that lay at the entrance and the expensive champagne that was being handed out to everyone.

Expensive champagne that Beomgyu was on his fifth glass of.

Taehyun finally understood why Yeonjun didn't let Beomgyu go alone, because he practically had to keep the actor glued to his side in order for him to not do anything stupid. He took his eyes off Beomgyu for a split second half an hour ago, and found the other trying to climb into the garden fountain. He made sure Beomgyu's arm was in his own the entire time after that.

Other than that, the night was going pretty well, considering Taehyun had made more acquaintances in the past hour than he had the entire year- all because of a certain actor that somehow seemed to know every single person there. He had gotten his fair share of compliments too (though they were mostly along the lines of 'you guys look so cute together!'). They had met Mrs Park when they first entered, and she seemed overjoyed at the fact that Taehyun came along too.

Pretending to date Beomgyu had come as easy as breathing to Taehyun now, after getting plenty of practice in the past few hours. All he had to do was spare a few 'loving' glances at Beomgyu and link arms, and everyone had their curiosity satiated.

Taehyun had to admit though, his obligation to keep the other in check was probably the only thing that was stopping him from leaving the party halfway and going home to pass out. Everything was starting to get a bit dizzying, even if he hadn't had any alcohol previously.

It was getting close to midnight, and everyone was starting to gather on the balcony to view the fireworks display that would start in a few minutes. The mansion was situated on a hill that overlooked the entire city of Seoul, so the view was absolutely breathtaking, to no one's surprise. Taehyun heaved a sigh of relief knowing that he would be able to go home soon.

Beomgyu unlinked their arms and grabbed Taehyun's wrist instead, guiding him through the crowd to the edge of the balcony. He mentally thanked the other for doing so, because only then could he see the true magnificence of the view.

"Holy shit, this is beautiful," he muttered under his breath, looking out in awe at the skyscrapers and stars that lay in front of him. He tried to lean over the balcony to get a better view, but Beomgyu grabbed Taehyun's shoulder and turned him around so they were facing each other.

"But I'm more beautiful aren't I?" the other's words were slurred, an indication of how drunk he was. Catching Taehyun off-guard, Beomgyu placed his hands on the anchor's face, cupping his cheeks. Taehyun looked around at the crowd on the balcony. Beomgyu had to do this now? In front of all these other people?

"Tyunnie, look at me," he smiled broadly at the flustered anchor, leaning closer so that their noses were touching. Taehyun could smell the alcohol off the elder, paired with the smell of his intoxicating cherry perfume. A blush crept up Taehyun's cheeks, though he didn't bother moving away. Beomgyu wouldn't remember any of this the next day, so why not?

"Do you really have to do this in front of everyone here?" Taehyun looked up at Beomgyu, not moving an inch.

"You're so cute, you know that? You try to act angry all the time but deep down you're a big softie," Beomgyu giggled, poking Taehyun's cheeks. The anchor did nothing but purse his lips, rolling his eyes at Beomgyu who seemed giddy off of touching Taehyun.

Taehyun felt a sudden shift in the crowd around them, and he could immediately tell that the countdown would begin soon. He really wanted to see the fireworks since it was his first time spending New Year's out in a while, but the drunken actor-he-was-supposed-to-be-dating was preventing him from doing so. Taehyun didn't find himself stopping the other however, even though his mind was screaming for him to move away before they both did something they would regret. His feet stayed rooted to the ground, his face just a breath away from Beomgyu's.

3... 2... 1...

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

And Beomgyu's lips were on his.

Fireworks. Taehyun couldn't see them, but he sure as hell could feel them. Beomgyu tasted like expensive champagne and strawberry chapstick and every other good thing in the universe, and Taehyun wanted nothing more than to kiss him senseless. He let himself melt into the kiss just for his own pleasure, allowing his lips to slot into the other's in a feverish motion.

Beomgyu froze for a split second in surprise as Taehyun started to kiss back, but quickly continued to kiss the other like they would never have the chance to do this again (which was slightly true). Taehyun grabbed the back of Beomgyu's waist to pull him closer, so that their bodies were flush against each other. Taehyun could feel the stares of everyone around them burning into his back, but he couldn't care less.

It was like a painting almost, the both of them kissing with fireworks going off behind.

Taehyun didn't know why he was doing this. This would only end in casualty, and yet he found himself wanting more. He didn't even know at what point in time did he start wanting to kiss Beomgyu this bad, but here he was, kissing the one person he vowed to not get personally attached to.

Pulling away, he looked at Beomgyu one last time. The other looked at him with glossy lips and hunger in his eyes, but Taehyun knew better than to do anything more. Coming back to his senses, he came to a realisation. What were once fireworks turned into blooming regret.

What had he done?