Chapter 3

It had been a stressful week. Moving everything in and getting settled was no easy feat. Especially since you were doing most of it.

Your mother had helped but then work demanded her presence.

Just like they always did and just like always your mother left with no hesitation.
--------------------
*years ago*

"Momma."

"Momma!"

You were jumping at the end of your mother's bed. You were going to a museum on a class trip and your mother had promised she would go with you.

She groaned and pulled her sheets over her head.

"Y/N isn't it too early to be up?"

You frowned as you pulled her sheets down.

"Momma you said you were going with me today to the museum"

You mother rubbed her eyes as she processed what you said.

"Oh Y/N you're right. Why don't you get my bag ready and I'll be ready in 10 minutes."

You were buzzing with happiness as you ran to get her bag. She rarely offered to go with you on school trips because of her work.

She was a top writer for a big magazine and was always traveling to get big stories.

As you finished packing you heard a phone ring and then your mother talking. You couldn't hear what she was saying but you felt a sense of dread.

When she hung up she came over the the kitchen and sat at the island and you knew.

"Y/N darling Momma has to go to work"

"But momma you promised"

"I know darling. I promise next time I'll go"

That's what she always said.

You pouted and looked angrily at the floor.

"You always go to work!"

Your mother sighed.

"Y/N don't start. If I don't go then who's going to pay the bills and get you clothes and toys? Do you think it comes from trees? Please be considerate. I make sure you have everything you want and you go and get mad at me"

You immediately felt bad. You may be young but you had grown up to be more mature than others your age out if necessity.

"Ok momma. I'm sorry," you said softly.

You mother kissed you forehead.

"I'll be back soon. I'll make it up to you."

You faked a smile.

You knew she wouldn't.
------------------------------
As you finished unpacking you saw it was dark outside. Your mother wasn't back yet but that was normal. As you got older you mother took on more responsibility at work which sometimes had her go to events late at night.

You sighed. You were all alone.

You felt hungry thought about ordering out. You searched google for something to eat.

There was a (fav food) place a couple blocks down. You decided to walk there and stretch you legs and explore.

You left a note for your mother in case she came home and grabbed you keys.

It was breezy outside. The wind felt nice on your face. You followed the route on your phone as you took in your surroundings.

There were lots of other appartment building and businesses. They were adorned with bright lights and people bristling along. It may have been late but it seemed as if the city was waking up. Cars passed by and there were people talking all around you.