chapter one -

the date? the date was friday the 20th  of august. a day where my life was about to change. for the good or for the worse? well you shall find out.

i had no clue where i was headed, i just knew i needed that job. that job saved me, as did the people that worked there. that is why they are lifeguards.

not just because they save people in the water, but because they save people on land too.

and as lifeguards they were there.

as lifeguards they did their job which was to save and protect. and that's exactly what they did.

everyone says 'you saved me'

or

'he/she saved me'

but not in this story.

in this story.

they saved me.

and for whatever reason they did, choose to save me, im so very thankful they did.

and till this day.

they always say i saved them.

i sometimes believe they didnt save me.

maybe it was fate?

maybe it was meant to happen?

but, until we find that out.

we shall refer to it as,

𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝘀𝗮𝘃𝗲𝗱 𝗺𝗲.

present day:
hazels pov:

i glance around as people pass me. here i am. stood in sydney, australias airport. on a very busy and hot saturday afternoon!

i smile to myself. i best grab my lugage and head out. so, i find my suitcase on the conveyor belt and get everything checked.

i see two long automatic doors that say EXIT at the top. i walk towards the doors and take a deep breath, as i like to act like a main character, and walk out.

the sun had slightly risen, making buldings and people have shadows. it looked so... striking.

i yawn, after that flight im pretty tired and the times are quite different.

its around five in the morning and already quite warm and bright. i call for a taxi and get taken to my hotel.

i stare out my window the whole time, looking at the beautiful country side hoping to see kangaroos, which i don't.

"first time here?" the drivers asks with a strong aussie accent.

i nod with a smile. "yes, im from england." i pause, "i came for a fresh start."

he smiles, "you've came to the right place darlin, you'll love it here." i just smile.

"thank you. that means a lot." he just nods his head and i carry on looking out the window.

maybe everything would be okay after all.

i walk into my hotel which was huge. a chandelier was hanging from the brown, shinning ceiling. I walk to the front desk where three workers were.

"hi, i booked a room for a night. my names hazel
smith." i smile nervously. the lady begins to type on the computer as i look around again.

i spot three elevators down a hall. i also spot stairs and paintings. i hope there's a pool. "yes here you go." she hands me a card and smiles, "room 221."

i nod my head and thank her. i walk towards the elevator with my suitcase travelling behind me. i enter the lift and press the number three and slowly it begins to move.

i turn around and mess with my hair in the mirror. "this is all you've ever wanted hazel. dont screw it up." i smile to myself. im known for screwing things up.

i always did.

i find my room, unlock the door and the first thing i do is sit on the balcony.

i look at the sun and yawn. normally id be in bed by now scrolling through instagram or twitter.

hopefully i get used to the sleep schedule of australia anyways.

i watch as the sun slowly rises and people begin to walk around doing there normal thing. which, in australia, i thought it was going to the beach.

now that i see it, its going to see family or going to work.

with the mention of family my phone begins to ring and i see it is my mum. i sigh. "hello?"

"hazel! hazel darling! how is it there? australia? oh do tell!" she exclaims excitedly. i smile slightly, me and my mothers relationship is complicated.

she's happy for me but sometimes, she says certain things to me, it. brings me down. and when i saw this job. i just... at that time i needed to get away.

and so i did.

made an excuse that they had offered me the job when they didn't.

i had reached out to them.

and my parents believed what i told them and were proud of their eldest, for once.

"oh yeah, it's good. i mean i only just got here so."

"of course, of course. well text me when you get off of work on sunday." she laughs, "ill try and respond although the time difference is slightly..."

i laugh to, "yeah ill see how i can play it mom."

"good good, and hazel darling. please try to not screw this up. for you and for us." she says in her nicest tone.

of course, she couldn't go one day without putting me down. "yes mom."

im sat on my hotel bed scrolling through instagram when a request to follow me came through. i smile.

its one of the lifeguards. i had subscribed to their youtube channel a few months before i got the job so i knew most the lifeguards.

i accept his request and he dms me.

harriesbondi

hey, will you be coming down to bondi tomorrow?

im not to sure...

we'd all love to meet you before you started here at bondi :)

sure ill come down then

great, ill see ya tomorrow! im in the tower tomorrow mornin if you manage to get up ;)

i just laugh and type back ill try harries, just for you. i place down my phone and lie down. it shall be fine hazel, it shall be fine.

i guess ill be meeting the boys in blue tomorrow.

crikey!

who would've thought!

hazel the lifeguard.

has a nice ring to it.

a/n:

this is the first chapter of they saved me, i really enjoyed writing it so i hope you've enjoyed reading it :)

nicole 🙃