chapter six

your pov:

over the past few days harries and i have been growing closer. i trust him a lot. he picks me up and drives me to work when we're on together now. harrison and maxi ask me every now and again if i want to go out with them. i think we're becoming close friends..

i'm sitting down south with harries, it's cloudy today which is a big difference from the rest of the week. i watch a swimmer run out with his board and honestly envy him for going out their. he's brave for doing it.

harries chuckles, "he's got some nerve."

"i hate surfing when the rain is really heavy."

"really? god i love it. it's nice and cold. really refreshing i think. although, i don't know what this guy is thinking."

i laugh at his words. "leave the poor sod alone." we watch him for a few minutes and just as i'm about to turn my eyes away a massive wave crashes down on him. after a few movements i'm on the edge of my seat hoping he comes back up — he doesn't.

i grab the board and begin to run out. i run down and hear footsteps after me. harries? why is he coming out with me? we crash into the water and begin to swim over to where he was last seen.

we're in the water, trying to watch the waves and trying to figure out where the man is. either underwater or somewhere further on out. i hear harries yell my name and i look over to see a dirty blonde haired man on his board, trying to catch his breath back.

"where's his board?" i yell out over the waves.

"just leave it. we've got him that's all that matters right now."

we begin to paddle back over but when i get closer to the surface i lose harries. i radio for back up and genuinely begin to panic. "harries!" i begin to yell running back into the water to try and find him. "harries! where are you?"

i can feel my heart rate speed up as i begin to look around but see nothing except water. salty water that moves, dangerous water that takes, blue water that drowns things, water that i don't like, sea water that i can't like.

a hand reaches up from underneath the water and i grab onto it, praying it's harries. "harries!" i look down, pulling him onto the board.

"i'm okay, i'm okay." he takes a deep breath and holds onto my board.

"where's the guy?" i hear jules yell from behind me.

"i don't know." i hear harries whispers.

i look back at her, "he doesn't know." harries slowly looks around and points over to some rocks with his hands. i look over at jules who is watching harries.

"take him back." she tells me. i begin to paddle back with him holding onto my board. i get to the surface and deano is waiting there with the oxygen for harries. i help him stand up and he wobbles over to the rhino.

we place the mask on him and he sits there, extremely warn out. after ten minutes hoppo drives down to call helicopters out and an ambulance. i'm still stood with harries while most of the other lifeguards were out searching.

hoppo runs out the water, his board by his side. "i think you should drive him to the hospital hazel. he looks like shit."

harries laughs weakly, pulling down the mask. "thanks boss."

hoppo smiles weakly at harries, proud he's got some sort of laugh at of him, "you know what i mean."

harries shakes his head and looks down at his slightly shaking hands. hoppo looks at me now, smiling reassuringly. "hazel?"