The Challenge

As Kai pondered on current events, the sound of heavy footsteps brought him out of his thoughts. Instantly on his guard, his eyes turned to the forest. There he saw the unmistakable form of an Uncivilized. It was a white tiger, making it very noticeable, even from this distance. And it looked like it was about to come onto the castle grounds.

"Good lord, it's attacking!" Kai gasped.

He was on in his feet in a second and heading back inside the castle. It wasn't too hard to find the Ex-Cat King since he was still singing terribly. All Kai had to do was follow his voice.

"Your highness!" Kai shouted.

Natori moved to block his path. "He will hear no more of your nonsense about Miss Louise."

Kai impatiently, and literally, threw Natori aside. "Out of my way, you fool! An Uncivilized is coming."

Natori sat up, rubbing his head. "Why would an Uncivilized come here? They haven't come onto our grounds for years. Where did my glasses go? Ah, they're cracked!"

"I don't know why it's coming, but it is." He burst into the next room where the Ex-Cat King was trying on a suit. "Sire!"

The Ex-Cat King turned to him and grinned. "Yo, how's this? Do I look good, or what?"

Kai ignored the question. "Sire, an Uncivilized is coming this way!"

The former ruler showed no interest in this news at all. "Nonsense, they know not to enter our territory, just as we know not to enter theirs."

Instead of arguing, Kai directed the stubborn cat over to the window.

"Look there! An Uncivilized is coming!"

The Ex-Cat King's eyes widened. "My gosh, one of the Uncivilized is coming!"

Kai smacked his forehead in frustration. "Orders, sir?"

"What do you think?" the Ex-Cat King shouted. "Get it out of here!"

(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)

"Here's the exit." The white tiger said. "I will go no further until our truce is known by your entire kingdom."

Lune nodded. "Yes, that's a good idea. We don't want any misunderstandings."

Baron cleared his throat. "Forgive me for interrupting, but I must go save my fiancée."

"Yes." Lune agreed. He turned back to the tiger. "Thank you for your help, and give my thanks to the chief."

The tiger nodded. "It shall be done."

(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)

"Sire, it's retreating." Natori said.

"Really?" The Ex-Cat King grabbed the binoculars from his servant, strangling him in the process since the binoculars were hanging around his neck. "Hey, you're right. Ha, ha! I knew it was a false alarm."

Natori was struggling to breath. "S-Sire, I... I... can't... I need-d... breathe... air..."

The Ex-Cat King dropped the binoculars, allowing Natori to breathe again, and turned to Louise, who was standing by Mieko. "Well my dear, now that the 'danger' has passed, lets go get hitched."

Louise crossed her arms and turned away. "Not on your life." She snapped.

Her so-called husband-to-be, just snickered. "You're such a kidder."

"I am not!"

"Sire." A cat called.

The Ex-Cat King groaned and turned to the cat. "What? I'm about to get married here."

The cat bowed. "Forgive me, sire, but we have visitors."

The Ex-Cat King's eyes narrowed. "I told you not to let anyone in."

"It is your son."

The Ex-Cat King couldn't hide the look of surprise on his face. "What? How'd he get here so fast, and without the Nekobus?"

"The Uncivilized led us through their forest." Came the voice of Lune as he walked up the stairs. "And that is the last time our cat brothers shall be called by that name."

"Lune." The Ex-Cat King said, still looking surprised. "What are you doing here? And what do you mean that The Uncivilized led you through their forest?

Lune glared at his father. "I said that you are no longer allowed to call them by that name. And I mean just what I said, they kindly led us through their forest."

"Those savages?"

"Friends." Lune corrected. "After you snuck away, we went through the forest in an attempt to get here before the wedding."

The Ex-Cat King grinned. "Aw, you didn't want to miss your old cat's wedding."

Lune ignored him. "We came across their tribe and had a talk with the chief. We learned the truth of how the war started."

The Ex-Cat King blinked. "What truth?"

Lune shook his head. "I will explain everything later, when my entire kingdom is present. For now, we have come to stop this wedding."

"Give me back Louise!" Baron ordered.

The Ex-Cat King glared at him. "You! You're behind this! You ruin everything for me!"

"Humbert!" Louise cried.

"Louise!"

Baron made an attempt to get to her, but the Ex-Cat King blocked his path. "Uh, uh, she's mine."

Baron glared at him. "No, she is not."

"I won't let you take her from me!"

Baron smirked. "Didn't you learn your lesson when you tried to stop me from saving Haru?"

Haru and Muta laughed, remembering how that had turned out. The Ex-Cat King just glared at them before his eyes widened as he was suddenly struck with inspiration. "Ok, Baron. I'll tell you what. If you're willing to fight for her, I'll accept your challenge. If you win, the two of you can leave and I'll never bother either of you again."

Baron raised an eyebrow, curious as to why the former king wanted to face him again. "If it will get me back Louise, then yes, I will fight for her." He looked at Louise who was looking worried. Baron gave her a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, my love. I've beaten him before and I'll beat him again."

The Ex-Cat King started laughing. "No, no, Baron, there seems to be a misunderstanding. I said you can fight for her, but I didn't say that you would be fighting me. I am not your opponent." He went over and put his paw on Kai's shoulder. "He is."