Chapter 22

Hiccup entered the great hall with Alhan trailing behind him. The gang was already there eating, they greated Hiccup and Alhan. Hiccup left Alhan to introduce himself to the group as Hiccup went to get their food. When Hiccup returned he saw Astrid interrogating Alhan, he quickly rushed to the table to save Alhan from Astrid's hawk like glare. 

"ok so," Hiccup interrupted Astrid as she was trying to get Alhan to say something bad about Svik, ignoring the fact that that is probably treason or at the very least, disrespect. "guys, this is Alhan, he helped me with the building today" Hiccup continued, "ya, we know, he just introduced himself" Snotlout said snarkly before tearing into his chicken. Hiccup simply rolled his eyes. "um, I would just like to say, thank you for allowing me to join you at your table" Alhan said nervously as he accepts the plate of food Hiccup handed him. "and thank you for giving aid to my village" he continued. 

"It's our pleasure Alhan" Fishlegs said joyfully, delighted to talk to someone with politeness, those sorts of people are rare in this village. Hiccup nodded in agreement and was about to repeat the sentiment when Astrid cut in "I am curious about that Alhan" she said, twirling her fork around her fingers before stabbing it in the meat on her plate, "y-yes?" Alhan stuttered out, "why are you here?" Astrid continued, raising an eyebrow at Alhan, Hiccup thought that he should cut in but he caught Astrid's eyes and figured that interrupting her would be unwise. "wha-what? I don't- " Alhan was struggling to answer as he does not understand Astrid's question, "I mean, you are not a warrior, your fleet went to destroy the nest but they took you with them despite not being a fighter, why?" Astrid was right. Hiccup wanted to slap his head because of his own stupidity. How had he forgotten to check ?? 

They all turned to Alhan, who looked so uncomfortable. Alhan saw that no one was going to continue to eat until he answers so he answers. Alhan mumbled something under his breath, "what was that?" Astrid asked, she was not the only one that had trouble hearing Alhan's answer, the other's leaned in to listen to Alhan as well. 

"he's a stowaway" Svik's grating, smug voice rung out and the teens tensed as they turned to Svik in alarm. Hiccup masked his alarm and greeted Svik. "Hi Svik, can you elaborate on that?" Hiccup asked politely and immediately regretted it, Svik smiled widely and in Alhan's perspective, cruelly. It seems Hiccup gave Svik room to bully Alhan, Hiccup inwardly winced. "Gladly!" Svik said, then he placed his hand on the back of Alhan's chair, hitting it harshly causing Alhan to flinch. "scardly cat over here, hid in a chest full of wool so that he could come with the fleet to the nest" Svik continued gleefully. Some vikings side eyed their table, some even clicking their tongue in dissaproval.

Alhan was hunched, curled into himself while Svik was talking, once he heard the disaproval of the other vikings, he abruptly stood and rushed out of the hall. It seems Alhan is used to running, Hiccup thought sadly. Hiccup met Astrid's eyes, she was looking at him like she new what he wanted to do, she probably does. 

"Hiccup, I forgot to mention, Gobber was looking for you" Astrid said, giving him a meaningful glance, "oh ok, I'll just eat at his house" Hiccup said, picking up his plate and was about to leave when, "Actually Hiccup I wanted to talk to-" "so, Svik, how about you tell us about your day?" Astrid asked through gritted teeth. Alhan took the chance to endear himself to them, "I'll come find you to talk later Svik" Hiccup reassured Svik. Hiccup shot Astrid a grateful smile as he sprinted out. Astrid just discreetly motioned for him to hurry. She is definitely going to  collect this debt. 

Hiccup saw Alhan rushing into the forest, not towards the direction of the cove but towards the direction of a small lake. Alhan wasn't that fast because of the trees so Hiccup caught up to him quickly. Alhan looked confused when he saw Hiccup. "hey" Hiccup said akwardly, shifting from foot to foot. Alhan cleared his throat akwardly, "Hiccup, do you need something?" Alhan said, not meeting Hiccup's eyes.