Chapter 13

The Silver Tongue Tribe resides in the island of Linur. The other viking tribes may deny it but no one can question that they are a wealthy and powerful tribe. Somehow despite residing in the closest island to Dragon Island, this tribe doesn't get raided by dragons so they flourished. 

The Silver Tongue are adept in the ways of lip service, able to negotiate or talk their way out or in any situation they like, because of this they make their money off of trade and their weapons are made of the best ores because of their proximity to the island of dragons causes their own soil to be heated and become fertile and rich, not that they new that, they think that their good fortune is because they are favored by the gods, simply better than anyone else and no one could truly dispute it. The Silver Tongues has Snotlout's arrogance but Hiccup's wisdom to hide it behind masterful deceit, because of this no one would think to look beneath the surface, well no one except Hiccup. 

Hiccup was accustomed to the Silver Tongue tribe's merchants, after all they frequently trade with Berk, but he did not think he would ever meet the Chieftain and his heir. Hiccup observed from the shadows as Chief Fifl and his dad shook each others hands, their faces grim as they talked in front of the ruined and barely floating ships of the other tribe. The heir of the Silver Tongue is Svik, who was known for his charm and have no problem showing it, flirting with the few unmarried maidens twice his age in front of destroyed and battered remains of his ships, showing no regard for the urgency of this problem. 

Hiccup has no problem with Chief Fifl, he gives him the impression of a cautious chief which assures Hiccup he will not be causing trouble at Berk, after all, how will he be able to escape with his ships practically destroyed. Hiccup does have a problem with Svik, he was too...eager to please. Hiccup doesn't buy the hand kisses he gives to maidens, or the complements he gives to the image of Berk, there was something behind his eyes that Hiccup was sure he was the only one to see. He doesn't trust Svik but he will not be foolish, he will find out what Svik is hiding, but he will not find out anything standing in the shadows so when Stoick shows signs that he was looking for Hiccup, he approached. 

Hiccup showed a welcoming smile and held out his hand when his his dad introduces him. Hiccup has contributed to Berk with his inventions, machines that are used to water the fields automatically and contraptions that can put out fire by pulling a string of rope that aided greatly in raids, he might still be invincible to the villagers, but he was  a respected craftsman. So it was not surprising that his dad bothered introducing him. 

Chief Fifl accepted his handshake but despite the disarming words that left the Chief's mouth, Hiccup could see that the Chief didn't care much for him. Which is exactly how Hiccup wanted it. When Hiccup was introduced to Svik, he also saw that Svik didn't care much for him and can see the hidden sneer he was tempted to show, but no, like any Silver Tongue, his charming smile was perfect and did its job in showing a harmonious relationship between the two tribes. 

The pair of Chiefs made their way to the great hall to discuss what ever they needed to discuss leaving the heirs in each other's company. Hiccup swallowed his suspicions  and politely made conversation with Svik, which Svik politely returned. The two was approached by the other teens and Hiccup introduced them to each other. 

"These are my friends, Astrid, Fishlegs, Ruffnut, Tuffnut and Snotlout" Hiccup said, pointing to whom it was he was introducing. They all greeted and welcomed Svik politely and Svik upped his charms. 

"It is a pleasure to meet such fine young vikings" Svik said, like he is years older than the teens when if he was only 17 years old. It was not loss on Hiccup that Svik said this to show seniority, but he kept his mouth shut. The teens responded with varying degrees preening starting from Astrid's unaffected face to Snotlout's puffed up chest. Svik turned to Astrid and Hiccup saw a crack in the perfect, charming façade, Svik leered at Astrid, looking up and down, head to toe, like was examining a desirable object. Astrid no doubt saw it too and gripped the handle of her axe tight, but the other teens wouldn't see because they have never had such a look directed at them. 

Astrid looked at Hiccup and Hiccup shook his head. They will talk later but not in front of Svik.

"It especially a pleasure to meet such a fine and strong maiden, I've been looking far and wide for wife like that" Svik said, his façade back on his face, Astrid wanted nothing more than to deck in the face but she knew can't cause tension in the tribes so she heeded Hiccup's advise and smiled. 

"I do not plan on being anyone's wife, I plan on being a shield maiden" Astrid said politely but an observant person like Svik can see the temper brimming in her words. Svik was not pleased, but he would have time to woo this girl. Hiccup sensed the atmosphere getting tensed and offered to show Svik where he will be staying. Svik smiled and agreed. 

________________________________

Svik decided to stay in the guest house for the rest of the day, after all dusk was almost there and he was exhausted from the battle he found the time to narrate to them, complete with long descriptions of his valiant efforts in the battle. 

The teens walked to the forest, deciding to catch some fish and have dinner in the cove, the great hall was full and could barely accommodate the warriors of the other tribe and they didn't want to be in that crowded mess. 

They all sat around a bonfire with fish cooking on top of it. Toothless was having his own dinner beside them as they talked. "so what do you guys think of Svik?" Hiccup said, starting the discussion he knows is necessary but do not find joy in starting. Sure enough, Astrid aggressively ripped flesh off her fish's bones and said "He can fuck himself" 

"What? I think he's great" Snotlout said, disgustingly chewing his food with mouth open wide. He had obviously missed Svik's indications towards marrying Astrid. Astrid pulled out her axe and pointed it close to Snotlout's throat, "I mean, I hope he burns?" Snotlout said nervously, hands held up in surrender. The twins laughed at his plight, but didn't particularly have an opinion towards Svik, yes he was charming but the twins has a way of knowing when to truly trust, perhaps natures way of balancing their idiocies with excellent instincts. Fishlegs liked Svik, he was completely won over by the complements, perhaps because he was not often complemented, Hiccup being the only one to frequently recognize his talents. 

Astrid turned to Hiccup after she was done threatening Snotlout. She raised her brows as she asked "but what do you think, Hiccup?", she obviously knew that he didn't like Svik, but she wanted reassurance that he understood her. "he cannot be trusted" Hiccup said, looking at Astrid's eyes. Astrid's hackles came down, someone was in her corner regarding this. "again, why?" Snotlout said, he was completely oblivious to Svik's slip ups, not one to question why someone was stroking his ego. 

Hiccup simply said "something is not right with his eyes"

Over the years there has been instances where Hiccups eyes turned to slits, when Snotlout destroyed his DIY forge with a stupid prank, when Fishlegs got too close to a dragon in a raid while studying it, those are instances where Hiccup's other half peeked through his humanity and showed it self. The teens never did know how it was possible but never brought it up and learned that it only shows itself and its accompanying temper when Hiccup was angry at something so they tried their best to make sure Hiccup doesn't get angry and they were thankful that it happens rarely. 

The other teens stopped what their doing and watched Hiccup because his eyes are once again slits but he was not angry and yelling like he usually was when this happens. He was calm.

The gang simultaneously decided to listen to him.