Chapter 26

Hiccup and Astrid went back to the port soon after. The somberness still lingering from the previous conversation was there but muted. Gobber threw a fit because of Hiccup's lateness but since Hiccup has recruited Astrid's help in the rebuilding, Gobber let him go. After all, the more hands they could put to word the better.

The rest of the afternoon was pleasant. Hiccup bantered with Astrid and had fun while he was working, Svik didn't even come to bother them them this time. Perhaps the universe decided that he deserved a break.

For a little while, Hiccup was able to relax. Until dinner arrives.

Hiccup was sitting with his friends at the usual table. The teens were bantering when Alhan approached the table. It was only then that Hiccup was reminded of the agreement that he and Alhan had. Damn, why did he think it was a good idea to invite him to dinner?!

Hiccup had nothing against Alhan. He just wanted to spend sometime with his friends, he just found out he was dying for gods sake. Astrid had that look on her face again, like she new that Hiccup's mood took a sky dive again. She was most likely going to ask him questions later. Look's like he would have to make up more lies.

Hiccup put the weariness he felt for Astrid's unpreventable questioning that was probably going to comensce later on the back of his head when they were alone and turned to greet Alhan.

They exchanged smiles and polite conversation as Alhan sits next to Fishlegs. Hiccup didn't forget why he befriended Alhan in the first place, but to make Alhan his unknowing spy then Alhan would have to completely trust and open up to him, for that to happen he would have to be patient and give the impression that Alhan is a part of his friend group.

It's all so tiring.

As dinner went on Hiccup got even more tired and soon the head aches started pounding his head once again. It hurts.

Hiccup resisted the urge to curl up and cradle his head. He needs to get out of here. Thankfully dinner was about to be over. Hiccup took a sip of water that didn't alleviate his head ache at all. Ringing started abusing his ears, he could barely hear the usual rustle and bustle of the vikings in the hall. Alhan got up to leave. Hiccup got up to leave as well. He gave excuses on autopilot as to why he needed to be home early today. Astrid wanted to talk to him but figured she should let him get some much needed rest.

Hiccup speed walked to his house. He wanted to go to Toothless but the ringing in his ears was deafening and he needed to go somewhere quiet fast. He arrived in his home but unfortunately, his dad was there. Stoick got up and Hiccup thinks that his father's smiling mouth was saying something but he couldn't hear anything over the ringing.

"Son?Hiccup?Are you alright?" Stoick said worriedly, he placed his hand on Hiccup's shoulder and that was when Hiccups knees buckled. Stoick was already picking Hiccup up while yelling Hiccup's name. Stoick brought Hiccup to his room and placed him on the bed then he ran out to get Gothi.

Hiccup was in so much pain. He curled up on the bed with his hands cradling his head. He didn't even have the energy to scream.
Gothi arrived, hurriedly hobbling with her staff. Following her are the teens, all of then carrying containers and bags of medicine. Gothi took one look at Hiccup and then shoved everyone out the door. She was met with resistance but no one disobeyed her. She took a white powder that was in a little pouch in her hidden pocket and a paste then put then in the mixing bowl. She hurriedly mixed the ingredients until it was sticky yet watery.

She took a brush the turned Hiccup on his stomach to look at Hiccups back. The mark looked the same as ever but if one looked closely, it was no longer  pitch black, it was just a little grey. Gothi noticed this and her face showed horror. She used her index finger to scoop some of the mixture and started to use her finger to write symbols on Hiccups back. They were not norse nor were they the usual symbols she used to communicate. This was the same symbols that was written on the fountain in Hiccups mind.

As Gothi continues to write the mark starts to glow. Not by very much, it just illuminated Hiccup's surrounding skin and nothing else. After a few minutes Gothi finished and Hiccup was exhausted by the pain and was soon asleep.

____________
Hiccup woke up to the grim face of his father. "Dad?" Hiccup asked, his voice a little croaky because of the exhaustion that is still present in his mind.

"Why didn't you tell me Hiccup?" Stoick said, his voice sad and disappointed. Hiccup hasn't heard disappointment in his father's voice in a few years so he was struck dumb. That disappointment was the exact thing he never wanted to hear again, Hiccup felt tears starting to be made in his eyes.

All his fears this past few years are coming up in his mind. Did his dad find out about Toothless? Did the teens or one of the teens betray him he feared they would? Did Gothi tell his dad about the mark?

What did Stoick know?

Hiccup stuttered, his hazy mind trying to come up with excuses, his voice cracking and in the end, he was only able to stay silent. His heart was pounding and his instinct was triggered, fight or flight?

Stoick sighed, "why didn't you tell me you were that stressed Hiccup? if you cant take the responsibility to rebuild the ships then say so, do not hurt yourself like this" Hiccup burst out crying, Stoick thought it was because of the stress but truthfully, it was relief.

His dad doesn't know.

Stoick pulled his son into his arms as Hiccup kept saying "imsorry" over and over again. He placed his hand on the back of Hiccup's head and muttered reassurances. When Hiccup finally stopped, he was exhausted once again,

"I just  wanted to make you proud"

"you do"

when you find out, you won't

"I just wanted to help"

Hiccup the useless, my name and title

"you do, but son, everyone rests"

and so Hiccup closed his eyes and slept

A/N

OMG, SCHOOL STARTS MONDAY, IM SO NERVOUS.

We'll see if I can keep uploading or if online school will suck the life out of me.

ᕙ(@°▽°@)ᕗ