Chapter 25

Hiccup went back to the garden. His mind was in a daze as he gazes at the darkness corrupting his garden. He knew he should get going, he new he needs to do something but... he just needs to think. He can't think. How can he when he has just been slapped by the reality of the situation. He was dying. When the white king gave him the news he was struck with a bout of determination but now that he was staring at the abyss, he can't help but let the tears out. 

It has been so long since he cried, when was the last time? Ah, yes, that time when his dad was proud of him. 

Oh, gods, his dad. 

they have never been close, not in the way Stoick thought they were but... he was dying and the amicable relationship they had has been built on lies, does he truly have family?

Hiccup is spiraling. 

He needs to tell someone, anyone but, who in this wet rock of an island could he trust? the gang? they know about Toothless but they don't know about him, about his mark, about what he truly is and he cannot tell them because some of them left him before and the others used to despise him and what's to say they will not do it again?

Gothi? she could help, right? no, since the last time she talked she hasn't said a word in years no matter how much Hiccup asked her questions, and he still doesn't understand what she says so he would have to tell Gobber.

Fuck, Gobber. He could never tell him, he would be devastated and without a doubt Stoick would know because Gobber couldn't keep his mouth shut for anything. 

He could tell no one. 

Toothless nudges his side with his snout. Hiccup breathed and turned his attention to Toothless. The dragon was right beside him, patiently waiting for Hiccup. Toothless was like a sentry, a strong protector that never once wavered in his support and faith in Hiccup. Hiccup kept breathing and placed his hand on Toothless' snout. The dragon coed and Hiccup was so grateful

He doesn't have many people but at least he was not as alone as he thought.

__________________

Hiccup has to go back to the village for dinner. He didn't want to be with other people right now but he had made plans with the other teens. He has been in the nest for 3 hours and he need to get back to building. He knows Gobber would lead the rebuilding if he asked but Stoick has been so proud giving him this responsibility, he can't afford to disappoint his dad now, not when...

don't think about it, you have work to do. 

So Hiccup mustered in all the courage he could muster in his 5'1 tall body and splashed his face with water from the lake. The cove is so peaceful, so much so that Hiccup doesn't know if he was thankful for it or not. 

"Hiccup?" Astrid's voice was heard from the entrance of the cave. Toothless went to nuzzle her hand as a greeting then he went back to Hiccup's side. Hiccup took a deep breath and plastered on a smile on his face as he turns to face Astrid. "hey, Astrid, can I help you with something?" His voice was a little too tight to be believable and no doubt Astrid noticed. She looked at him weirdly, that look that said that she knows he's hiding something and she's going to find out what. 

"Gobber is looking for you, you guys need to get to rebuilding so that Svik could get out of our hair quickly" Astrid said, trying to be roundabout when Hiccup knows all she wants to do was shake him for answers, she has tried to do that a few times over the years but now she knows better, pressing Hiccup will just make him more determined to keep his mouth shut. 

"ah sorry, I lost track of time playing with Toothless" Hiccup replied, just as roundabout, then he splashed his face one more time. Astrid approached as Hiccup was drying his face with a piece of cloth he keeps in his vest at all times. She looked at him and his puffy eyes. 

For a moment none of them said a word until Astrid pulled Hiccup into a hug. Hiccup had to hold back his tears again. "I don't know what is going on with you" Astrid said, her voice barely louder than a whisper, so out of character for her, "but whenever you need to talk, I'll be here" 

Hiccup wanted to hug her back so badly, but, the hurt from their childhood keeps surfacing in his mind, she was just like this back then, a lot more violent but there for him all the same. But she left and he still doesn't know why. So Hiccup curled his hands at his sides, blinked away the tears threatening to fall from his eyes, and said "thank you, Astrid, I know I could always count on you"

The moment lasted for a few other seconds until Toothless decided to offer his comforts as well. The dragon licked Hiccup's face that was resting on Astrid's shoulder. A little punch to the shoulder, exclamations of disgust and laugher followed soon after.