Chapter 6

Rufus' pov

I sat alone with Rogue in Sting's office. The others had gone out to discuss something. I didn't want to go back out there. Not right now. Everyone was staring at me and it felt like I was being judged. Like I was at fault for being attacked. Rogue pushed himself onto the desk, Frosch happily curling up in his lap.
"You don't need to listen to the other members. They don't know what they're saying" he looks to me. I turn my head away.
"You don't need to hide yourself in my clothes just because you lost a fight" his tone was softer. Almost like the one he used for Frosch when he was hurt or upset.
"I'm useless like this. I can't do anything for the guild with my arm busted like this" I grip onto my busted arm tightly. Rogue lifted off my hat, placing it on the other side of the desk.
"We aren't going to kick you out because you're hurt. Jiemma might but Sting isn't him. You're one of us and if the other members can't see it then they're blind" for someone who kept his heart locked away most of the time he was pretty good at the emotional speech thing. I looked up.
"Huh that's new" he Mumbles. I raise an eyebrow.
"What's new?" I lean to the side in hopes of seeing what he was looking at. My eyes only landed on shadows.
"That shadow's new" He gestures to one that sits against the wall that the sun was hitting from the window.
"It's a shadow. They change all the time" I would have thought he'd know that, working with shadows and all.
"No. It's not that. At this time of the day there's never a shadow that looks like that" he shakes his head, one finger up to his chin.
"You know the layouts of the shadows in here?"
"Yeah. I know the layouts in a lot of places but for some reason the shadows have been changing in here quite frequently recently"he shook his head. I turned my attention back to the table. The door swinging open made me jump. Sting walked in, the blue haired mage from Fairy tail walking in behind him, I believe her name was Wendy. Her eyes fell on my arm and she approached me with purpose.
"Can you show me?" she asks. I pull Rogue's cloak back from my shoulder to show her the sling. I didn't dare move my arm because despite giving it plenty of rest, it still hurt as bad as it did last night. Wendy reached out and placed one hand on my arm. I winced when it sent strong jolts through my arm. She turned to Sting and the other mages which consisted of Minerva, Yukino and Orga alongside her team. She hovered her hands over my arm, glowing a deep blue. She held them in place for a few minutes before pulling her hands back and wiping a layer of sweat from her forehead.
"Did it work?" Orga had approached, the only thing seperating us being the table.
"I... I can't" she dipped her head.
"What do you mean you can't?!" Natsu was staring at Wendy, voice louder than he probably should have it.
"It's like something is blocking my magic from healing him. I tried really hard but it was like pushing against a concrete wall" she looked back to me.
"I'm sorry" she apologizes, stepping back. My heart dropped. I was stuck like this for most likely the rest of my life. I felt the burn of several eyes on me. I looked up. They all looked shocked.
"What?" no one responded. My stomach was starting to do back flips.
"Your hair" Orga pointed towards my head.
"What about it?" they weren't making any sense. He reached forward, pulling a clump of hair from the right side of my head. I looked towards it. A small strand of black hair stuck out to me amongst the golden strands. My eyes widened. I pulled the hair closer to my face, rubbing my fingers along it to see if it was paint or greese. Nothing came off. My hair had suddenly turned black. Or at least a small part of it had. Sting stepped forward.
"Thanks for your help Wendy. We can take it from here" he insisted. I said nothing as they were led out of the office. I couldn't say anything. It felt like my throat was dry. What was happening to me?