Chapter 3

Rufus' pov

Throughout the journey home I was on edge. That needle couldn't be a coincidence, especially after what happened last night. Had I actually seen someone at my window. I stopped walking when I heard laughing, snapping my gaze to look but it was just some children laughing while playing with some skipping ropes. I sigh and continue walking. I'm getting too worked up over something so small. I continue walking, the sounds around me slowly disappearing as I got to an unoccupied street. About halfway down the street I suddenly got the feeling that someone was watching me. I turned around and my heart leapt to my throat. I saw someone standing at the end of the street, a hood and mask on. They were looking at me, arms by their sides. I took a step back and they took a step forward. My heart was thudding in my chest now. I turned and ran. I couldn't hear anything but suddenly I was tackled and pinned to the ground, arm pulled behind my back. I struggled about but only had my arm tugged on hard. I bite my lip to suppress the scream of pain that was threatening to surface. I felt claws grip onto the back of my head, lifting it up. I tried to hit them with a magic attack but whoever had me slammed my head into the ground. I grit my teeth from the pain, closing one eye from the blood dripping down into it. Those claws started digging into my arm before tugging. This time I couldn't hold onto the pained cry, feeling like the muscles in my arm were being torn out.
"You better let go of me" I threaten but they don't say anything, only dig the claws into my back and head. I try to move the arm they had been holding but it was too painful to move. As a lastige effort, I tried my magic again but only had my head slammed again. I couldn't get up with this guy sitting on top of me. I close my eyes, ready to accept death when the weight on my back is lifted. The guy skitters off, disappearing into an alley.
I sit up, wincing from the pain.
"You should have waited for us Rufus. We could have walked together" Sting complained, crossing his arms. Rogue looked at him with an unimpressed look.
"Seems we got here just in time" Lector pipes in.
"Fro thinks too"
"I recall you saying you were staying at the guild longer" I remind them. Sting looks at Rogue, sticking his tongue out.
"You are such a child" he sighs with a shake of his head.
"Am not" Sting whines before turning to me.
"By the way, do you know what that was about?" he asks me. I stumble to my feet, reaching to pick up my hat.
"No. Probably someone who wanted to kill a Sabertooth mage while they could" I responded.
"That's probably why he ran off. He seems to have been alone so the idea of a three against one fight probably frightened him" Rogue pointed out.
"Fro thinks so too"
"Why don't you come with us. We can help patch up those wounds for you" Sting offers. I shake my head.
"I'll be fine" I object before Rogue takes ahold of my uninjured arm and starts pulling me along.
"You're coming to our house" he states. I open my mouth to object.
"I'm not asking" he adds. I sigh but don't say anything, letting them lead me to their house.