Prologue 2: Leiko Tategami

Spikemuthwasn't a pretty town. It was pitch dark all day long, as a kind ofblack veil lingered over the city as a dome. The streets weredilapidated and dirty, and buildings seemed mouldered and soonfalling apart. Graffiti was everywhere and Team Yell had gottenpretty big. It wasn't a place where you wanted to live. Especiallynot if you no longer had a place to live and lived on the street.

Leiko didn'twanted to end like this. She had hoped for so much more, but afterher 5th birthday her parents had this opinion, that a life without achild would be much "easier" and "more money wasteful" andthey simply left her behind. In a cold, empty apartment that was soontaken over by some "Team Yell" members.

There was onething that Piers, the local gym leader and former head of Team Yell,didn't knew.

Not all ofTeam Yell were on his and Marnie's side, and not all of them hadlegal lifestyles. There were gangs and petty criminals who liked tohide under the guise of Team Yell and then mischief. As a result,Team Yell also had a very bad reputation outside of Spikemuth. Ofcourse, all of this happened without Piers' knowledge .. and ofcourse without Leiko knowing that Piers wasn't involved in theseshady characters.

"Hey,Leiko. ", A female voice got the homeless woman out of herthoughts. Marnie. The girl, who was the only one who had the right tobe called a friend by the blue haired woman. Leiko met the youngerfemale 3 years ago when she tried to break into a burger shop becauseshe hadn't eaten for a long time. The two girls became friendsdespite a not inconsiderable age difference and Marnie often lookedafter Leikos well-being. However, Marnie's visit in Spikemuth hadother reasons that she couldn't tell Leiko. Because Marnie was theyounger sister of Piers. A fact, that she had to hide from her friendin order not to forfeit her hard-earned trust.

Marnie wasconvinced that she would somehow get Leiko out of these slums. Leikowas taken to an orphanage after her parents had left her alone whenshe was 5 years old. The same orphanage that Bede visited. Just Leikowas older than him by then. When she was 15, she had had enough ofthe orphanage and simply disappeared on her own. Since then, forthese 6 years, she has made her way through the slums of Spikemuth onher own, struggling to survive every day. Because thanks to theoccupation of these vagabonds, she could no longer go to her parents'house.

"HelloMarnie. It's been a while, huh? " Leiko answered, slightlydisinterested, because she knew how rare her only friend's visitswere. Marnie smiled sadly and knelt next to the seated older woman."Ever since that idiot Gym leader put those neon lights on everycorner, it feels like you're in the red light district. And thesearch for food is not really easier with those lights .. ",Leiko mumbled.

"Ifyou find it so awful here, why don't you leave the town and start anew life in Motostoke?" Marnie asked. She saw by the expressionon Leiko's face that the pride of the blue-haired woman was far toogreat for her to give in and leave the town.

"Tch.No thanks. If I die here and the gym challengers see my rottencorpse, they'll run straight away. That will hopefully damage Piers'reputation. " The blue-haired woman laughed bitterly.

"Youreally hate Piers, don't you ..? "Marnie asked a little sadly.