A loss, but a big gain of trust and intimacy in a friendship

"[Y/n]..", Cynthia's voicewas sad and battered and that alerted you directly. Cynthia rarelycalled, and only when it was important or bad news. Her pitched voicesuggested the worst. "I hate to have to say something like thatover the phone .. ... Grandmother died .."

Your eyes widened and tears began torun down your cheeks. You had expected all sorts of things, but thisnews threw you completely off the mark.

"W-what ..? W-How ..? She was veryhealthy and not yet that old .. ", you mumbled sadly andclutched your smartphone tightly while more tears ran down your face.Professor Carolina, the village elder of Celestic Town andgrandmother of Cynthia, was like a mother to you. Carolina had caredfor you since the beginning of your trainer career. Since you livedin Sinnoh for several years and lived with her, the two of youcultivated such an intimate and harmonious relationship. Her deathnews had torn the ground from under your feet.

"She had a heart attack .. Causedby an allergic reaction after she had been exposed to the poison ofan aggressive Roserade .. Roserades release a special toxin that hasso far remained undiscovered by researchers, as they only eliminateit when they are really feel cornered and have to protect theiroffspring .. Grandmother had found a nest and wanted to study it froma safe distance, but one of the Roserades has lost its nerve. Shefought for survival in the hospital for days, but .. ", Cynthiasaid and could no longer speak through her own tears .

"For days ...? And you call me NOW..? Cynthia, I would have left everything and gone to Sinnoh .. "

"I didn't wanted to ruin youradventure in Galar. None of us expected that Grandmother ... wouldnot survive .. The doctors also said at first that she was recoveringnicely, but then her condition deteriorated so rapidly .... And thenI was just too occupied and sad that I forgot to call you earlier. Iam so sorry.."

You felt terrible. Not only because ofthe loss, but also because you screamed at Cynthia like this for notletting you know sooner. "Don't apologize .. I'm sorry if Isounded harsh .. I .. can't believe it .." you mumbled sadly andwiped your face.

"We all feel that way in CelestiaTown.. Believe me .. The .. funeral is next week .. on Wednesday ...Are .. are you coming ..? "

"Of course I'll come .. Cynthia,thanks for everything you've done for me. I'll never forget Carolina.. I'll see you on Wednesday .. I love you, big sister, okay ..? "

"I love you too, little sister ..take good care of yourself."

With these words, Cynthia hung up andyou dropped to your knees to completely give in to your emotions. Youwere crying so loud that your brother and his fiancée ran from thestudy straight to your room and wanted to know what was going on.

It wasn't long before you feltoverwhelmed by the comforting hugs and words of your real family. Yougently pushed the two of them away and stood up. "Sorry .. But Iwould like to be alone for a moment .. I'll go for a walk ..",you said and walked to the door.

"Now..? Do you took a lookoutside? It's raining cats and dogs. Take an umbrella with you atleast. ", Aki said , worried and crossed her arms.

"I don't mind .. It's just water.. I'll .. I'll come back later, okay ..?", You smiled sadly andraised your hand to say goodbye before you just stormed out into therain. Aki shook her head and collapsed onto the hotel couch. You andthem currently stayed in Motostoke.

"I never realized how close therelationship was between her and Professor Carolina. Her death hitsher as hard as if a family member had died. ", Aki saidquietly.

"She was a family member for her."Mamoru began sadly. "When [Y/n] lived in Sinnoh after our parentsstarted to argue daily, the professor behaved like a mother to her.She raised [Y/n] without hesitation, and became more or less like alittle sister to Cynthia. Professor Carolina was the caring mother,our mother couldn't be at that time. So I understand that her deathtakes [Y/n] with it ... ", he explained.