Chapter Five

"I am so sorry for what happened back there," Harry says. "They nev- they just never drive carefully- I -"

He slides his hand through his hair, which happens to fall to his shoulders today, and lets out a sigh.

"It's alright, it was my fault. I should've waited," I say.

He shakes his head and begins patting around his jacket, as if looking for something. "On a brighter note, look at what I have!"

At that moment he sticks his hand in his inner jacket pocket and takes out a blue card. "Do you have any idea what this is, missy?" he says while smiling and shutting his eyes briefly.

I smile and shake my head. He gives an offended expression and I giggle along.

"Well, in my hand is one of the greatest things one can only imagine. My happiness on a card, basically." he says while holding the card within his two fingers. He hands it to me and I read the words on the piece of paper.

Buy One Guacamole Cheeseburger and get another free!

I look up at him and smile even wider than before.

"You see Beth, one must take advantage of these great deals in life. I mean, who can skip this amazing opportunity of a free burger?" He says with a sophisticated facial expression. "And since this offer is only available for a duo of hungry customers, I'd greatly appreciate it if you accompanied me to this feast," he smiles and bows.

His actions continue to bring a smile to my face. His presence just seems to luminate the dark night around us.

He straightens up and looks to me with a grin.

I look at the card once more and then look up and furrow my eyebrows as if in deep thought.

"Of course" I say laughing while giving him back the blue paper.

"Yes!" He says in a high pitched voice. He notices and then stiffens up and says, "I mean, yes," with a serious face.

I can't help but laugh at all of this. It feels as if I've known him for ages. He gives off an aura of acceptance and comfortability that makes one feel at ease, and I hope things continue like this.

We walk over to the area where the truck used to be. While walking there, I can't help but notice the reoccurring stares in our direction. The feeling of being watched makes me anxious. I look up to him and see his gaze looking forward, away from the constant stares. He then turns to me and smiles once more, and I feel at ease again.

We reach the truck and wait in line. Once we're at the front, Harry hands the worker the blue card and some cash. We grab drinks and sit at the same table as last time.

"Don't worry about them," he says. "It stops once they find another topic to talk about."

I look at him as he looks down, playing with a napkin. I then turn towards the crowds and see some heads turn and a few stares again.

I face him again and we both smile at each other.

Our order is called and Harry gets up to pick it up. I think about the way he handles all of the staring. I can tell he's experienced it before, and it upsets me to think about the effect it may have on him as well. Apparently he's very reserved, opposite to the crowds here. Everyone seems to know each other.

He approaches and places the plates in front of us. His fingers begin to unfold the foil as the sound of something vibrating is heard. I watch as he reaches in his pocket and mouths "I'm sorry" while picking up his phone. I nod as he gets up and places his phone to his ear. He stands a few feet away talking on the phone and his expressions seem more harsh and upset. While pacing around he finally hangs up and walks back to the table.

"I'm so sorry about this, but I have to go," he says while placing his hands in his pockets.

"No, it's fine, really," I respond.

"We should definitely pick up on this later. Even though my burger will be cold," he says while staring at the foiled plate. "You can continue eating if you want," he states with a smile.

"I think I will, man, you're gonna miss out," I say while unfolding the foil.

"I know, I know," he says while shaking his head.

We both laugh and he picks up his plate. His phone begins to vibrate again.

"I'll see you later then," he says.

I nod and I watch him answer his phone quickly as he walks away. It must be pretty urgent because he starts to walk pretty fast.

•••

I finish the burger and I walk over to where Stacy is in front of the stage. The older man that I had seen in one of the large trucks walks up to the front of the stage.

"Welcome. Welcome. Welcome." he says with a rough voice.

I spot Harry in the back with his arms folded across his chest. He begins to make silly faces and I stifle a laugh.

We pay no attention to the man on the stage, and he notices, giving Harry a harsh look. Harry coughs and looks down with a smile as the man starts to speak again.

Once the man finishes, he steps off the stage and walks over to where Harry and the huge, burly men are standing.

A bell rings and I believe the next races are about to start.

•••••

Once again, thanks for the responses! :) - cyn