Chapter Two

Beth

The sound of the engines diminishes as soon as the cars are out of sight. Stacy and I wait impatiently for the outcome. Everything is dark, and nothing is visible.

We stand there, looking at the pitch black in front of us.

"So what now?" I ask.

"We wait," she replies.

I look down, sliding my foot on a shard of glass halfway embeded into the ground. My head shoots back up at the sound of a loud crash, followed by another. I look over at Stacy, who's face turns pale white with the sound of the contact.

She looks to me, nodding, and simply states once again, "We wait."

Stacy faces the darkness, waiting for a sign. A sign that could demolish all the worry held inside her since the beginning of the race. This is absolutely insane. Were these people aware of the great danger they were putting themselves into?

I look to the other side of the track, opposite to the start. Two faint lights emerge from the night, swerving side to side in the distance.

Stacy turns around, and instantly faces in the same direction. She intertwines her arm with mine as we both look out into the night. Another pair of headlights shows up, speeding quickly through the twists and turns of the track.

The first set turns swiftly past the last corner towards us, revealing the shade of red across the side. My friend jumps a little, expressing the relief she had been longing to feel.

Jake's car speeds past us, crossing the faint white line. The second pair of lights passes the corner, revealing the familiar black shade. Harry's car makes its way across the finish line, right after Jake. Followed by the sound of more roaring engines approaching.

***

As soon as the majority of the cars return, each vehicle pulls aside and the drivers make their way to a table that is set a few feet away. A couple of men stand behind it, exchanging glances and papers to the drivers. Harry, however, is not one of the anxious looking drivers. He is stood next to the well built men, looking around, simply ignoring the others as he looks down every now and then.

Once all of the "business" seems to be sorted, the men pick up their things and walk off, Harry following.

I look around for Stacy, who is picking up her bag after hugging Jake. The two part ways and Stacy heads to where I am standing.

"All set?"

I nod and we are on our way to her car. Once we get inside, I ask her some things that have been on my mind.

"Why do people do this? Why do these people risk their lives for this kind of stuff?

She hesitates, but finally answers.

"Well, some people do it for the hell of it, they find it fun. Then there are others who see it as a distraction, like Jake. He says it gets his mind off things" I nod as she continues, " This can also be an obligation ya know, for the money."

The amount of reasons for this completely astonishes me. The whole idea is completely dangerous, yet intriguing.

---

Hey guys. Okay so this chapter is REALLY short

I PROMISE ILL MAKE THE NEXT ONE LONGER AHH SORRY

There might be errors in this, but I'll go back and check them.

Hope you have a wonderful day and please follow, vote, and comment!

thaaaaanks :)