Chapter Four

Beth

The day drags on as I take my shift at the local crafts store. We are currently on vacation for classes, so I decide to take this as another job, apart from the library.

I make my way to the back of the store. Today I am assigned to count the inventory, which is probably the part that I dread the most. The store is closed already but I am forced to stay after-hours to finish the job.

One, two, three, four boxes of paintbrushes.

One, two, three boxes of yarn.

One, two, thre-

I stop. I hear loud, rummaging sounds coming from outside the inventory room. I slowly make my way out of the room to check what it is. My steps are light, yet I am sure that they are much louder than I expect. I look outside and find only some of the lights on. Walking further, I take the broom that is placed beside me. I begin to think about the mysterious car outside of the library the other might, freaking myself out more.

"Hello?" I say as I walk through one of the aisles.

No answer.

I turn the corner and find a shadow bending over beside a cashier station. My not-so-careful self hits some canisters on a shelf, and the shadow looks up.

"Jesus, Elie you scared me!" I say as I drop the broom and catch my breath.

Elie was the store manager, he was also the son of the owner.

"Oh I didn't mean to, sorry Beth!" he says with a smile. His blue eyes shine, even with only a small amount of light.

I may have had a crush on him, a tiny one. Yes, a very never-going-anywhere kind of crush. I realized that I would never compare to the multiple girls he flirted with here at the store. All of them extremely beautiful and flirtatious as well.

"I forgot to turn off the electricity from the front section of the store," he says while looking up at the lights that are on.

We silently stand there for a few moments.

"Oh, okay. I guess I'll get back to work then," I say and break the awkward tension.

We say goodbye and I turn around. I quickly pick up the broom and make my way back with the feeling of his burning eyes stinging the back of my skull. Then the lights turn off and I walk into the back room.

The rest of my assignment consists of more and more counting.

Once I am done, I drive home. The ride only takes a couple of minutes before I am in the driveway. I get off my car and shiver from the breeze.

I unlock the door and find Stacy putting on some earrings.

"Hey Stace," I say as I place my keys on the doorway shelf.

"Hey, Jake has a race today, want to come?" she says while putting on her jacket.

I'm tired, very tired. But I'm also interested in the whole car racing stuff, so I decide to go.

•••••

I think we're early this time. Not much people have arrived and some people are setting up a stage and sound system. I look around and see that Stacy is doing the same. We find Jake and his friends standing beside his car.

"Beer?" One of his friends motions a bottle towards me. I deny it by shaking my head but give him a confused look.

"Don't worry, the drivers don't drink," he says laughing and walks in the other direction.

Well, that's good. I nod and play with the ends of my gloves. After placing my hands in my jacket pockets I feel something. I take whatever it is out and I find Harry's gloves. I have them in my hand and I look around. Did he come today?

There's no sight of him or what I remember to be his car.

Moments pass with me just walking around the site. More people are arriving and the place begins to feel more lively.

All of a sudden, loud roars of engines approach quickly behind me. I turn back and find two large headlights getting closer. They stop abruptly and I hear multiple honks. I stare but then quickly jump out of the way once my limbs finally react.

Two large pick-up trucks speed by, and I meet the eyes of a older man in one of the rear windows. It feels like a slow motion scene, then fast paced right away. A black car also passes right in front of me.

I keep my eyes on them as they park by the stage.

Very muscular men get out of the trucks and make their way to the stage. Harry then gets out of his black car.

After shutting his door forcefully, he quickly makes his way in my direction, not looking very happy.

••••••••••

Heeeeey guys, there's more to come. Sorry for the long wait, and please keep reading, voting, and commenting!

Thank you so much! xx

And don't be afraid to check out my other fanfic called Outage. :)