Chapter Three

Beth

The stack of books extends across the cart beside me. I pick up the Fiction novels and take them to where they belong. My fingers trace the cold binding of a blue book and take it in my arms; walking to it's appropriate section.

Once I finish the cart, I walk over to the librarian desk.

"All finished?" Mrs. Smith, the librarian who's in charge at this time, asks.

"Yeah, is there anything else I need to do?" I say as I pick up another stack of books from her desk.

"Beth you- you should just get home, it's dark, and you should get some rest," she replies taking the books from my arms.

"Let me just put this -"

"Beth, I got it!" she says as she takes the cart I reached for. " Go home."

I hug her before I begin to walk back to the break room. Whilst picking up my bag I see a pair of headlights peek through the blinds of a nearby window. As I walk over and pinch the blinds open, there seems to be a shadow in the car and the engine begins to rumble. I continue to stare as it backs up quickly and drives off.

That's a bit odd, these streets are usually empty and the library is hardly visited during this time. It's probably a neighbor or something, it has to be. The sense of possibly being watched sends chills up my spine. Why? Because I've had this feeling before, and it did not end well the last time.

•••

I open the door to my apartment to find Stacy and Jake laying on the couch with the television on. I walk over and pick up the control out of Stacy's grip; cautious not to wake her, and aware of what happened last time when she lashed out on me and almost scratched my eyeballs out. Gosh that girl. I shut it off and walk over to my room, placing my bag on my desk.

I get ready for bed and finally lay in it after the long day.

•••

I wake up to Stacy pulling the blinds wide open and jumping ecstatically , "Good morning sunshine! Breakfast is ready!"

I squint my eyes at the sight of the flaming sun, and bring my pillow above my head.

"Stacy, why!?" I groan at the thought of having to get up, get ready, and walk to the kitchen that happens to be about a billion miles away.

Stacy grabs the pillow above my head and hugs it. "C'mon! Jake made us breakfast!"

I give her a look and finally get up. I stay in my sleep attire, too lazy to change out of it, and follow Stacy to the kitchen.

"Heeeey Beth," Jake says and as he stirs what seems to be pancake batter.

My frown automatically turns to a smile at the mesmerizing scent of the food.

"Heeeey Jake, " I say as I take my seat on the stool.

Jake has slept here multiple times, but has his own apartment as well. He's a great guy, never a bother. He also makes Stacy happy, and that's something I will always appreciate. I can't forget the amazing meals he cooks for us of course.

They set the plate in front of me and we begin to eat. Once we are all finished, I ask Jake something that has been on my mind since the day of the race.

"Hey, Jake. What do you know about the other racer, Harry, I believe," I ask as I pick up my plate and take it to the sink.

He looks up, squinting his eyes a bit, before a smile creeps upon his face.

"Why? Does Bethy have a little crush?" he teases as Stacy and him giggle.

I can feel my face turn a bright, burning red.
"What!? No. I was just wondering!"

"Mhmm," he says as they both calm down from the little laughing session. " I actually don't know much about him. I've talked to him about twice, but that's basically it. He's a pretty reserved guy."

"Does he always race against you?" I ask.

"Not all of the time, but usually yeah. He's pretty good actually, with maneuvering the wheel and stuff. It's a bit odd though," he says while he gets up. "Almost every race, he either finishes in second or third. At times, actually, I think he lets me or another racer win." He says while walking over to the fridge, placing the orange juice back.

I stand here a bit confused. Who is this guy? I'm obviously not the only one who wonders about his actions and motives. This new information about him, it makes me wonder even more.

••••••••••

Well, heeey guys! Hope this is okay for now. This is really late, but now that I'm on break for three weeks, I believe I will be able to update more!

Thank you so much for the response this book has gotten!

Thank you and please keep reading, voting, commenting, and following! Tysm, and love youuuu. :)