1: 09

LONDON - BAR

Steve and Bucky made their way to the bar where Steve had enlisted his Howling Commandos.

Bucky stared at the bar and frowned. "You gotta be kidding me."

Steve looked around. "What are you on about?"

"This bar. It's where you enlisted the Howling Commandos. Why here, Steve?"

"I miss her too, Buck."

Bucky fell silent and walked over to the bar. He grabbed himself a glass and a bottle of whiskey. He could only hope he was able to get drunk enough to escape the guilt of failing to save the woman he loved.

Steve glanced at his friend worriedly and said, "You should ease up, Buck. I get how you feel."

"All due respect Rogers, no you fucking don't. At least the girl you love is still here. Flora's gone." He took a shot of whiskey, realizing he felt nothing compared to prior times the amber liquid had coursed through him.

Peggy followed the voice of a radio through the rubble.

A man on the radio said, "Blackout is still in effect throughout the London area. Please wait for the all-clear. Your attention, please. All citizens shall remain indoors until further notice. Blackout is still in effect throughout the London area."

Peggy found Steve and Bucky pouring themselves a drink.

Steve glanced up and said, "Dr. Erskine said that... the serum wouldn't just effect my muscles, it would effect my cells. Create a protective system of regeneration and healing. Which means um... I can't get drunk. Neither can he. Did you know that?"

Peggy looked at them before saying, "Your metabolism burns four times faster than the average person. He thought it could be one of the side effects." She changed the subject. "It wasn't your fault."

"Did you read the reports?"

"Yes."

"Then you know that's not true," Steve and Bucky said.

"You two did everything you could. Did you two believe in your friend? Did you two respect her?" Steve and Bucky looked at her as if to say yes. "Then stop blaming yourselves. Allow Stewart the dignity of her choice. She damn well must have thought you two were worth it."

"I'm goin' after Schmidt," Steve decided. "I'm not gonna stop till all of HYDRA is dead or captured."

"You won't be alone."

Bucky took another sip of his drink as a solemn look crossed his face. He knew what he was getting into when he was drafted. He knew the fragility of life. He closed his eyes as he set the glass down. If he didn't return from this mission, so be it. At least he'd be able to see her again.

He downed his drink and said, "Let's get those assholes."

Steve glanced at his friend worriedly. "Buck, I don't think-"

"You don't think I should come?"

"No. I'm worried you'll be reckless and stupid. Flora wouldn't-"

"What? If you tell me she wouldn't want me to come, I'm going to shoot you. You're going to be reckless and stupid too. Hell, that's normal for you, Steve!"

"Bucky, please. I've already lost Flora. I can't lose you too."

"You lost Flora?! So did I! So. Did. I! I lost the woman I love! So don't you dare try to beg me otherwise. You can't stop me from doing this."

He nodded slowly. "Okay, Buck. Let's get them."

---

Before the Howling Commandos went after Red Skull, they had a small funeral for Flora, as per Bucky's request.