Thomas Preaches

Thomas POV

    Thomas walked backwards away from Ramah, watching her with each step away. He smiled a big, reassuring smile, but deep in his heart he felt a sadness, though he didn't know why.
He felt that he missed her - even though her arms embraced him moments ago. He felt the ghost of her hands at his waist; her head on his chest.
He remembered her words. The wedding memory. And his heart swelled with just how much he loved her. Beautiful, sweet Ramah.

  But then he felt a pang in his chest that he knew was the Holy Spirit. How could he be so selfish?
All his thoughts were on his wife when he should be thinking about his sermon.
The Good news. The Gospel. Salvation.
God could work through his words! Him!

Jesus had Chosen him.

He was humbled by the memory, and turned away from Ramah. He set his steps forward, looking at each of the Indian people before him.
Their eyes sparkled with interest. His heart swelled now with excitement. His stomach dropped with nervousness. His chest burned with a fire to share about Jesus - the one who Chose him. Who lead him. Who died for him. Who saved him.
He missed him with all his heart, but even more, he had to share. This is what he was made for and called to do.

He prayed a silent prayer, that God would empty him of himself and fill him with The Spirit. That his words would not be his own.

Then he stood before them.

  The Gospel flowed from his lips and he felt The Spirit in his heart. He saw Jesus in his mind.

These people were hearing what Jesus had done and wanted to do in their lives. There would be life change.
He next called them to repent, give up their sins and their own gods, and turn to Jesus.

But then it happened.
A man stepped forward, anger raging in his eyes.
"This man speaks lies! Give up our gods for this - Jesus?" A man who is dead. A man who does not even exist. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but he is dead! And he says that he is now in heaven?"
The man scoffed.

The crowd began to riot and divide. They argued loudly among themselves.
"Maybe he's right!"
"Never. Give up our gods?"
"Let's listen to him!"
"Silence! KILL THE MAN!"

All together they chanted, and those hesitant at first joined in:
"Kill the man!
KILL THE MAN!
KILL THE MAN!"

  And all too soon it happened. Thomas closed his eyes, and when he opened them again, he felt immense pain. He gasped as he looked down. Blood now stained his tunic and the end of a spear protruded from him.

He sank to his knees, fading in and out of consciousness. He heard a scream. But a peace remained in his mind, knowing that he had shared the Gospel.