A Blurry Escape

Ramah POV

  They ran. Everything was a blur. The sounds were muffled as people passed by, her feet hit the ground hard with every step, and at one point they were chased.
They kept going. She couldn't even feel the exhaustion and burning in her heart. All she could feel was the need to escape. It consumed her mind, even caused her to temporarily forget about Thomas' death.

  But then his face came into her mind. She didn't even realize when they had arrived at the camp where her friends were. She only sank to her knees, gasping for air. Eyes wide with disbelief and shock. Her lips were parched, and tears tingled in her eyes. Or, what was left of them.

Memories flooded into her mind.

One time Thomas had freed her hand from a trap Zee had set for thieves that she had accidentally gotten stuck in, and snuck a quick kiss to her knuckles.
One time he had collected flowers for her, but by the time he got back they had withered. He was so embarrassed but she still found them beautiful.
The time he picked apricots simply because they were her favorite, not because anyone else in the group had wanted them.
The time he asked for her hand in marriage.

   The times they spent talking about what their future would hold, how many children they'd have, and what their names would be.
   They envisioned a beautiful vineyard. Children playing among the plants, helping harvest the grapes and then pressing them as a family. Holding hands and dancing in a circle as the grapes squashed under their clean feet.

But now, she would never have that. A dry sob escaped her throat as she crumpled into the dirt, cheek pressed to the ground. Crumpling both from exhaustion and grief.

  She heard voices, but she didn't know what they were saying. The next thing she knew, she was scrubbed clean and laid in a clean bed.

She closed her eyes and all went black, and she dreamed of what her future would have been. But now how God was using it.