chapter 7 Gen

Gen gazed down at his phone, a smile playing on his lips. He had been exchanging texts with Senku for about a week now, and their connection had deepened remarkably in such a short time. While Senku's striking good looks were undeniable, Gen had come to appreciate him for who he truly was. It wasn't just a fleeting attraction anymore; it had transformed into a genuine bond.

Earlier that day, Gen had summoned the courage to ask Senku out to dinner. He had eagerly awaited Senku's response, and thankfully, he had received a positive answer. They were set to meet that night at a ramen place Senku enjoyed. The anticipation of meeting Senku in person made Gen's heart flutter with excitement. They had crossed paths before, but the meet and greet atmosphere lacked the organic nature of a proper date. This time, they could freely engage in conversation, without time constraints, Gen's manager, or the burden of Senku having paid 50,000 Yen to see him perform.
Gen had resolved to be the one to pay for their dinner this time, regardless of Senku's protests. Hopefully, Senku didn't have overly expensive taste. Glancing at his watch, Gen realized it was only noon. They were scheduled to meet at 6, and the restaurant was roughly a half-hour walk away. How would he occupy his time until 5:30? Knowing Gen's flair for the dramatic, he would likely spend an hour and a half getting ready. That meant he would start preparing at 4, leaving him with four hours to fill. But what should he do? Passing time had never been a challenge for him in the past; he would typically immerse himself in yaoi fanfics, and the hours would slip away effortlessly.
Gen let out a dramatic sigh and reached for his phone. He decided to Google "how to pass time," but the first suggestion was sleep, which didn't sit well with him. He was adept at sleeping, but waking up on time was another matter. He didn't want to risk accidentally being late for their first date.
Date. Was this really a date? Truth be told, Gen had momentarily forgotten that there was a possibility Senku might not reciprocate his feelings. Should he ask Senku if this was a date, or would that risk ruining the connection they had already established? Gen made an exaggerated gesture, placing the back of his hand against his forehead and closing his eyes dramatically. He concluded that he would rather confess his feelings to Senku and risk losing their friendship altogether than endure a one-sided love story. He decided to be straightforward and say what was on his mind.
Gen: Are you excited for our date tonight?
Senku: Yup! Can't wait to see you. :)
Did that response confirm that this was indeed a romantic outing, or were they just casually throwing around the word "date"? Gen couldn't contain his excitement over Senku's (presumed) confirmation, so he turned to Pinterest and searched for "how it feels to be in love." Surprisingly, this activity managed to occupy him for the next four hours. When he eventually checked the time, he realized it was time to start getting ready.
He meticulously applied eyeliner but got sidetracked while drawing shapes on his cheeks. He contemplated doing an e-girl heart and even experimented with two small lines on the bridge of his nose, although he wasn't entirely convinced they suited him. In the end, he settled for a crack drawn from his eye to his neck, giving him a unique yet imperfect look. Donning a white button-up shirt paired with a purple jacket, black pants, and matching shoes, Gen admired his reflection in the mirror. He felt a sense of unfamiliar satisfaction with his appearance, hoping that Senku would feel the same.
As the time to depart drew near, Gen's nervousness escalated. What if Senku didn't find him appealing in person? Perhaps he only enjoyed the persona Gen projected on stage and through their texts.
No, there was no point worrying about that now. Gen slung his bag over his shoulder, double-checking to ensure he had his wallet—there was no way Senku would pay for dinner. He set off toward the restaurant, not fully aware of his surroundings, as thoughts of Senku consumed his mind. When he arrived and took a deep breath before entering, there Senku was, seated with his long green and white hair elegantly brushed down, wearing a casually impeccable suit. Gen couldn't help but gaze at him in awe, a single thought echoing in his mind, "He's so...hot."