fifteen

Landon

"I like Charlie, name him Charlie." Eve says. Her voice makes me snap out of admiring her beautiful face.

Is it normal to admire your friends faces?

"Alright, we've got a name. I already love these names. Candy and Charlie, aw that's so cute!" Sakura says.

"You gonna call our cats soulmates too?" Eve says, why are my eyes glued to her lips?

I laugh, trying to get my head out of the gutter. Eve gets up from the bench. "I'm gonna go to bathroom." Without thinking I say, "Me too."

She nods her head and I follow her down the hall, leading to the two bathrooms. 

"Does this seem familiar?" She chuckles, referring to the time me and her bumped into each other. 

"Yep. Blame yourself, you were the one on your phone." She rolls her eyes and goes into the bathroom. I stand there like an idiot, completely forgetting what I wanted to do.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid." I face palm my forehead. The random memory of me asking Sakura for Eve's number pops up in my head. Shit, she probably thinks I'm super creepy. I only asked for it to apologize, I felt like I was being rude when I bumped into to her. Of course me being the most forgetful person to exist, I didn't remember to say sorry.

I go into the mens bathroom and look in the mirror. 

Ugh.

I think everyone on earth has hated their appearance at least once in their life, but none the less I still do. Sometimes, nice words decide to replay in my head. 

Worth it.

Enough.

You look good today.

Happens very rarely though. The bad thoughts; more like memories decide to remind me of why I hate myself.

Memories of my parents leaving me in stores, malls, cars. Memories of my dad getting drunk and cussing me out. Memories of cops asking seven year old me why my parents left me in a Whole Foods. 

A knock on the door pulls me out of my thoughts. "Landon? Are you done yet?" Eve's voice makes those memories immediately go away. I don't know, something about her incredibly pretty voice makes me feel safe. Like I've found the one escape to my endless thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm done." I walk out of the bathroom door, getting a sight of her dazzling eyes. It looks like a ocean, a green, blue and brown ocean. It seems like there is a story behind them. 

She sighs and looks at me with a poker face. "So.." She says, trying to make conversation.

"What do you wanna do when you grow up?" Her freckles look vague. Maybe because it's winter.

"You." I blurt out. Shit, shit, shit.

The fuck is wrong with me?!?

"What?" Her eyes widen, and she looks caught off guard.

"Uh, sorry! I meant to say..to be in a band?" I didn't completely pull that out of my ass. I may be untalented at most things, but I do know how to play some instruments.

"Really? What do you play?" She smiles.

"Well my parents forced me to learn how to play the piano at a young age, but I also know how to play the guitar." I proudly say.

"What about you?" I ask, her smile fades at my question. 

Did I say the wrong thing?

Her mood quickly lightens, she puts on a smile. I know what a fake smile looks like.