7. Lightning Bolts

The Suicide Squad all exchanged glances as Flag waved them to follow and head to the roof. Riley gently wrapped her hand around Diggers arm as they began to walk towards the staircase. Riley felt a wave of sadness run through her as Digger lightly shrugged his arm out of her grip. But to her surprise he grabbed her hand and intertwined his large fingers with hers.

She looked up at her best friend and found him staring back at her, a shit eating grin plastered on his face.

"Got the hottest woman on the planet holdin' me hand. I'm a lucky man, ain't I?" Captain Boomerang shamelessly flirted with his sidekick as they climbed up the stairs.

"Why thank you, Captain." Riley spoke, seduction laced in her voice. It was a level of seduction she didn't even know she had. She even surprised herself when she heard it.

She felt Diggers grip tighten on her hand suddenly and heard him swallow thickly. As she looked up at him, he quickly averted his eyes.

"What? What's wrong?" Riley questioned, feeling embarrassed by her flirting.

"That was, uh.... sexy." Digger spoke, finally looking up at Riley. His cheeks were as rosy as ever.

"What was? Me calling you Captain?" She chuckled, regaining her confidence as he complimented her more.

"No, not that. Well, yeah that too. But when ya said it, you're eyes turned dark purple." He smiled as they reached the top of the staircase.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I thought they did that earlier too. When we uh, almost ya know. When ya were looking at me after ya gave me Pinky back." Digger spoke rather fast, having a hard time with his words. He wanted to just say 'when we almost kissed.' But his fear of scaring his best friend off struck him in the chest.

"Right, you mean when we almost kissed." Riley blurted out, her gaze locked on Diggers.

He opened his mouth to reply but was cut off by the sound of Rick Flag opening the door to the roof, the loud sound of the helicopter approaching.

The group headed out of the door towards the helicopter. Riley followed, turning to give Digger a wink as he quickly followed.

The pair stood side by side as they watched the helicopter nearing the roof.

"Boss, they're not answering." One of the soldiers spoke up.

Riley's eyes darted off to Harley Quinn, whose eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. "Shit." Riley mumbled. Diggers gaze snapped towards Harley and he suddenly realized who was actually in that helicopter.

"Birds been jacked. Light it up!" Flag yelled, all of the soldiers immediately began firing their weapons. However, the soldiers began ducking for cover as soon as they saw the massive gun firing towards them.

Digger reacted quickly, wrapping his arms around Riley's waist and pulling her down behind cover with him. They both let out a grunt as they fell to the ground. With the way Digger fell, he was sat on the ground, back pressed up against the wall behind him. Riley had fell right up against Digger. He kept his arms tight around her waist as he tugged her down for cover, which caused her to fall right onto his lap, with her back against his chest.

"Oi! We should sit like this more often!" Digger smirked, flirting with the girl in his lap.

"Digger." She laughed, trying to be serious about the situation and failing. But she froze rather quickly when she felt a twitch in his pants. She slowly turned her head to look at the man who saved her. Digger was wearing a sheepish grin on his face as his eyes met Riley's.